News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Al-Qaeda Core Facing Crisis

Started by Sheilbh, September 10, 2009, 05:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Interesting article. No surprise as we saw the Iraqi Sunnis turn on AQ in Iraq. And now the Pakistani govt and Tribal leaders and people/militias are turning on AQ and Taliban in the Tribal regions, where they once supported them. But the ideology of the radicals isn't going away soon; that's still there in different forms. Takes time for things to play out and evolve, one way or another. 

Strix

Quote from: Alatriste on September 11, 2009, 12:28:16 AM
Come on, let's get serious for a moment. Since when does he need all of 5 seconds for that? It's not as if he has to think!

Spell check?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Sheilbh

Quote from: KRonn on September 11, 2009, 08:34:26 AM
Interesting article. No surprise as we saw the Iraqi Sunnis turn on AQ in Iraq. And now the Pakistani govt and Tribal leaders and people/militias are turning on AQ and Taliban in the Tribal regions, where they once supported them. But the ideology of the radicals isn't going away soon; that's still there in different forms. Takes time for things to play out and evolve, one way or another.
There was an interview on the BBC with the British commander in either Helmand province or Afghanistan overall.  One of his comments struck me as really interesting.  He said that the British troops weren't fighting the 'ideological Taliban' by which I'm guessing he means the al-Qaeda-Taliban grouping.  Rather they were fighting the 'territorial Taliban' by which I think he means, effectively, Pushtun nationalists.  We really have to take advantage of that.  I agree with the Iraq comparison.  If we can negotiate and work with tribal leaders in Iraq I don't see why we can't do the same with the 'territorial Taliban' and try to split them from the radical al-Qaeda 'ideological Taliban'.
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 11, 2009, 09:40:16 AM
There was an interview on the BBC with the British commander in either Helmand province or Afghanistan overall.  One of his comments struck me as really interesting.  He said that the British troops weren't fighting the 'ideological Taliban' by which I'm guessing he means the al-Qaeda-Taliban grouping.  Rather they were fighting the 'territorial Taliban' by which I think he means, effectively, Pushtun nationalists.  We really have to take advantage of that.  I agree with the Iraq comparison.  If we can negotiate and work with tribal leaders in Iraq I don't see why we can't do the same with the 'territorial Taliban' and try to split them from the radical al-Qaeda 'ideological Taliban'.
Yeah, good points. I think the new NATO/US leadership especially, and probably the former leaders as well, tries to do that. The situations are different between Iraq and Afghanistan, and need to be treated as such, as far as the factions or what ever else. Such as apparently the Karzai govt isn't seen in too well a light and that needs to change. But I'm sure there are similarities to be able to work with and now that more emphasis is on Afghanistan, that emphasis is happening.

Hearing a lot now of Iranian involvement - equipment, training, explosives. Saw a report on the news this morning in fact, of weapons used or caches found, which are Iranian made.

And now many in the US are calling into doubt the efforts there;US Congressmembers questioning the addition of troops. I find that sad, because it seems that we're really just now ramping efforts up, even though we've been there for about eight years. I feared that the Obama admin would face pressure, but didn't expect it so early on, and by some of the Dem leaders.