News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pelosi: No Public Option, No Bill

Started by Faeelin, September 04, 2009, 12:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Faeelin on September 04, 2009, 04:28:53 PM
Hrmm. Given how Huckabee is probably the most homophobic of the lot, I'm surprised.
I think I'd only care about the gay shit on a state level.*  I don't really care about DADT (which I think will be gone within the next few years) and DOMA and I'd hate for the whole gay issue to go Federal.

Edit:  * Even then, barely.  It's really not an important issue for me when I vote.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Quote from: Faeelin on September 04, 2009, 04:28:53 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 04, 2009, 04:22:38 PM
I can't think of any Republican I like, except Huckabee.

Hrmm. Given how Huckabee is probably the most homophobic of the lot, I'm surprised.
Not really.  Languish gays (with the exception of you and Marty (sorry to place you in such a group)) tend to vote or root for homophobes for some bizarre reason.  Look at Garbon and Palin. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 04, 2009, 03:57:12 PM
I'm for the public option but this is classic cut the nose to spite the face.  If you can get 70% percent of what you want, why would you insist on getting zero instead?

Sometimes I wonder if the democrats want to achieve anything: from putting all the gay issues on the backburner to seemingly refusing to compromise on cap and trade, card check, and now potentially even health care, all of those are in trouble.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Palin scares me.  I'm not entirely sure Romney's human (and he ties his dog to the top of the car!).  Pawlenty seems dull.  I use to think Sanford was interesting until he went hiking.  I don't think Jindal sounds 'Presidential' (his voice seems too high-pitched to me, hard to take seriously for a President).

So for me at this point it's all about Huckabee :wub:

Huckabee, really? The guy that wants to abolish the income tax? The Baptist minister? Isn't the guy a creationist? 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on September 04, 2009, 04:40:27 PM
Huckabee, really? The guy that wants to abolish the income tax? The Baptist minister? Isn't the guy a creationist?
We don't entirely agree, that's fair but I think he's one of the more compelling candidates :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on September 04, 2009, 01:28:36 PM
Pelosi saying she won't pass a health care bill without a public option, and 40+ senators (senate republicans plus some senate democrats) indicating they won't support a bill that has a public option doesn't seem like a good cop/bad cop routine--it seems like a log jam.
Do we know that for a fact?  Have 40+ put themselves on record as voting against a bill with a public option?

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 04, 2009, 04:59:18 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 04, 2009, 01:28:36 PM
Pelosi saying she won't pass a health care bill without a public option, and 40+ senators (senate republicans plus some senate democrats) indicating they won't support a bill that has a public option doesn't seem like a good cop/bad cop routine--it seems like a log jam.
Do we know that for a fact?  Have 40+ put themselves on record as voting against a bill with a public option?

I don't, but I've assumed it since a I believe a few democrats have (I know Lincoln from Arkansas, and I think a few others from Louisiana and Montana, but I don't follow this close enough to say for sure).

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on September 04, 2009, 04:40:27 PM

Palin scares me.  I'm not entirely sure Romney's human (and he ties his dog to the top of the car!).  Pawlenty seems dull.  I use to think Sanford was interesting until he went hiking.  I don't think Jindal sounds 'Presidential' (his voice seems too high-pitched to me, hard to take seriously for a President).

So for me at this point it's all about Huckabee :wub:

As you can see from his reply, while Shelbh follows the issues very closely, in the end it's all about symbols and storylines for him.  Witness his love for Blair, HUckabee, Ignatieff, and the Catholic Church.   :lol:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on September 04, 2009, 05:08:11 PM
As you can see from his reply, while Shelbh follows the issues very closely, in the end it's all about symbols and storylines for him.  Witness his love for Blair, HUckabee, Ignatieff, and the Catholic Church.   :lol:
I think you're sort of right.  The sad thing is the only one I genuinely believe in and support strongly is Blair :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

I use to think Sanford was interesting until he went hiking.

:lol:

I think he became more interesting because of that. Just not in the context of Presidential candidates.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Faeelin

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 04, 2009, 03:57:12 PM
I'm for the public option but this is classic cut the nose to spite the face.  If you can get 70% percent of what you want, why would you insist on getting zero instead?

What will be in Obama's new bill? Does anybody know? Most of what I've read make it clear Obama's still tyring to figure that out.

Quote from: QueeqegI'm not totally sure what your problem is with him.  Gay rights?  He's flopped a bit, but there are other priorities.  Thusfar I don't think he's really made a huge mistake on the stimulus of foreign affairs, which makes him a thousand times better than George W. Bush and better than any likely Republican nominee, including Mitt "Double Guantanamo" Romney.

Eh. I care about health care reform, climate change, a government that isn't holding people indefinitely without trial, and gay rights; indeed, I am something of a single issues voter when it comes to whether or not a politician views me as the equal of everybody else.

Obama hasn't "flopped a bit" on gay rights, he's completely abandoned them. But he's completely abandoned every other issue I care about too. So why bother voting for the guy again?

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on September 04, 2009, 07:22:54 PM
indeed, I am something of a single issues voter when it comes to whether or not a politician views me as the equal of everybody else.
Then why don't you start acting like the equal of everyone else?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.