News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pelosi: No Public Option, No Bill

Started by Faeelin, September 04, 2009, 12:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on September 04, 2009, 12:49:27 PM
I'm glad somebody on the Dem side is sticking to the guns.  Not that I entirely agree with the particular part of this particular issue, but in general having Obama continue to compromise without getting anything at all in return is getting a bit tiresome.  Somebody needs to wear the pants in that party.

He hasn't had to do much compromising so far. He's mostly gotten what he wanted--or at least what Nancy Pelosi has told him he wanted.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on September 04, 2009, 01:23:09 PM
Could Obama and Pelosi be playing a good cop, bad cop game?  That would be too clever by Democrats, but stanger things have happened.

Pelosi saying she won't pass a health care bill without a public option, and 40+ senators (senate republicans plus some senate democrats) indicating they won't support a bill that has a public option doesn't seem like a good cop/bad cop routine--it seems like a log jam.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on September 04, 2009, 12:44:13 PM
The sad thing is that she is probably right - reform without the public option is likely not worth the trouble.
Really?  My understanding is that without the public option the system would basically be the same as the Swiss.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

The sad thing is that she is probably right - reform without the public option is likely not worth the trouble.

Of course, reform with it is probably not possible.

I am going to have to disagree with you.  Reform is necessary, particularly efforts to negotiate down costs with the big drug and medical providers.

There are surely some things the government can do without the public option.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 04, 2009, 03:26:48 PM
Really?  My understanding is that without the public option the system would basically be the same as the Swiss.
That's what I am thinking.  The "public option" strikes me as wording as much as anything else, a good reform of incentives and tort, maybe with some monitoring of the health care industry as well, would be good enough. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Faeelin on September 04, 2009, 12:33:54 PM
Quote from: Caliga on September 04, 2009, 12:29:38 PM
:yawn:

So who's gonna be elected POTUS in 2012?  Romney?  Jindal?  Pawlenty?  :)

I can go with Pawlenty, and would probably take Romney over Obama at this point.
I'm not totally sure what your problem is with him.  Gay rights?  He's flopped a bit, but there are other priorities.  Thusfar I don't think he's really made a huge mistake on the stimulus of foreign affairs, which makes him a thousand times better than George W. Bush and better than any likely Republican nominee, including Mitt "Double Guantanamo" Romney.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

I can go with Pawlenty, and would probably take Romney over Obama at this point.

We are going to have to put up with Faeelin the anti-Obama spambot until then?  Oh boy.

The Minsky Moment

I'm for the public option but this is classic cut the nose to spite the face.  If you can get 70% percent of what you want, why would you insist on getting zero instead?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on September 04, 2009, 03:54:09 PM

We are going to have to put up with Faeelin the anti-Obama spambot until then?  Oh boy.

You shouldn't be so hard of Faeelin; he's going through an important stage.  The stage where his once idealistic dreams of youth are brutally crushed by the system leaving him a bitter shell of the man he once was.  It's a necessary stage in the development of any true Languideshian.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on September 04, 2009, 03:58:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 04, 2009, 03:54:09 PM

You shouldn't be so hard of Faeelin; he's going through an important stage.  The stage where his once idealistic dreams of youth are brutally crushed by the system leaving him a bitter shell of the man he once was.  It's a necessary stage in the development of any true Languideshian.
Is it? :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 04, 2009, 04:08:32 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 04, 2009, 03:58:59 PM

Is it? :unsure:

It happens to everyone.  IT IS YOUR DESTINY.   :ph34r:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

I can't think of any Republican I like, except Huckabee.

Palin scares me.  I'm not entirely sure Romney's human (and he ties his dog to the top of the car!).  Pawlenty seems dull.  I use to think Sanford was interesting until he went hiking.  I don't think Jindal sounds 'Presidential' (his voice seems too high-pitched to me, hard to take seriously for a President).

So for me at this point it's all about Huckabee :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Faeelin

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 04, 2009, 04:22:38 PM
I can't think of any Republican I like, except Huckabee.

Hrmm. Given how Huckabee is probably the most homophobic of the lot, I'm surprised.