And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian Politics Thread

Started by crazy canuck, September 01, 2009, 04:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2009, 02:09:02 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 07, 2009, 01:37:07 PM
do yourself a favour and don't. unless you are easily takenm in by smarm. I am only impressed that he could play the piano. That is a good thing in a leader.

I was impressed that he pulled it off as well as he did.

That took a lot of guts and it sounded pretty good.

You are the first person I have heard that panned the performance.
Consider the source.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2009, 02:09:02 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 07, 2009, 01:37:07 PM
do yourself a favour and don't. unless you are easily takenm in by smarm. I am only impressed that he could play the piano. That is a good thing in a leader.

I was impressed that he pulled it off as well as he did.

That took a lot of guts and it sounded pretty good.

You are the first person I have heard that panned the performance.

meh I couldn't even watch the whole thing. I do however give him props for actually going through with something like that. Executive privilege: Our leaders ought to be able to act out their more harmless fantasies when given a chance. perks, and all.

And I am very glad he didn't censor any of the words. If he had I would have been really annoyed. However it doesn't change my mind re: his ability to actually govern, rather than spend all his time in bitch fights with equally boring opposition leaders. Get off the MF-ing campaign trail and do stuff. Otherwise he's going to have to do more than give Layton & the NDP back handed compliments to keep from plunging Canada into an election no one wants.

(except asshole politicians who don't think that it's any big deal to spend millions on yearly elections during a global recession.)
:p

crazy canuck

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 08, 2009, 01:28:52 AM
meh I couldn't even watch the whole thing. I do however give him props for actually going through with something like that. Executive privilege: Our leaders ought to be able to act out their more harmless fantasies when given a chance. perks, and all.

And I am very glad he didn't censor any of the words. If he had I would have been really annoyed. However it doesn't change my mind re: his ability to actually govern, rather than spend all his time in bitch fights with equally boring opposition leaders. Get off the MF-ing campaign trail and do stuff. Otherwise he's going to have to do more than give Layton & the NDP back handed compliments to keep from plunging Canada into an election no one wants.

(except asshole politicians who don't think that it's any big deal to spend millions on yearly elections during a global recession.)

Apparently the rest of Canada disagrees with your assessment.  A poll released this morning says Harper enjoyed a 7% bump.  The pollster interviewed on the radio said he thought it had a lot to do with Harper's performance that night in stark contrast to the increasingly unappealing Iggy.

Barrister

While I respect Josephus and Buddha's opinions and thoughts on these things, I have to say they are both terrible prognosticators when it comes to how the rest of Canada will view things.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grallon

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 07, 2009, 01:29:15 PM

there are no leftists left in this country except wingnut commies standing on the corner selling daily worker papers. That's an urban legend. (that Canada is "Left" )

Vip isn't a reliable source on this particular topic - he sees lefties (whatever that means nowadays) in every corner.

As for Harper-the-piano-man, is there anyone here who believes this was nothing but a tactical move?!  The masses may think this has revealed a suddenly warm and compassionate PM (the intended effect) - but we know it's a smoke screen; when the majority comes, Harper will revert to being the cold and ruthless control freak he is.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grallon on October 08, 2009, 11:29:06 AM
As for Harper-the-piano-man, is there anyone here who believes this was nothing but a tactical move?!  The masses may think this has revealed a suddenly warm and compassionate PM (the intended effect) - but we know it's a smoke screen; when the majority comes, Harper will revert to being the cold and ruthless control freak he is.

G.

So, Canada does still have wacky lefties.... :P

Do you really think that the PM learned how to sing and play the piano so that he could make a "surprise" appearance.  Or do you think it more likely that it happened just as they say it did and that he does know how to play the piano, that he can carry a tune and that his wife suggested to him that he do it?  If he was faking, he did a really great job.

Barrister

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 07, 2009, 01:29:15 PM

there are no leftists left in this country except wingnut commies standing on the corner selling daily worker papers. That's an urban legend. (that Canada is "Left" )

Vip isn't a reliable source on this particular topic - he sees lefties (whatever that means nowadays) in every corner.

I can't find the article right now, but I read an article in the Globe that said the whole thing was Laureen harper's idea.  She suggested it a few times (and commented how Stephen likes to play the piano at home to unwind), and he finally agreed.

I'd also like to point out that Harper sent out no press releases, no news conference.  The only video of the event seems to be from people in the audience, and that uploaded it to Youtube.  HArper apparently took a bow afterwards, but then quickly left stage. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

I see them because they are there ;)

The main difference between the right and the left is that the left reacts on emotions instead of critical tought.  The left would prefer to see everyone on the Titanic perish because we can't save everyone.

He didn't learn the song and the piano just for that.
However, doing so in public, while there are cameras is a publicity stunt for sure.

Doesn't change anything about what I think of him, wouldn't change anything of what I think about Duceppe if he was playing the bass on For Whom The Bell Tolls.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 08, 2009, 11:49:45 AM
However, doing so in public, while there are cameras is a publicity stunt for sure.

There were no cameras ;)  The only reason we have the footage is because people can take clips with their cell phones.  FYI, the best video I saw was taken by someone who was in the orchestra behind him.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 08, 2009, 11:53:38 AM
There were no cameras ;)  The only reason we have the footage is because people can take clips with their cell phones.  FYI, the best video I saw was taken by someone who was in the orchestra behind him.
ah, ok, sorry then, I was mistaken :)

Still believe it is part of his strategy to look more "human" though, whatever that means.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 08, 2009, 11:56:10 AM
Still believe it is part of his strategy to look more "human" though, whatever that means.

I am sure that is what his wife had in mind.  If the left has to stoop to colouring that as some kind of right wing conspiracy then I suppose that is as good an explanation as any for why the left is so low in the polls atm.

Grey Fox

I see them because they are there ;)

We can't let the righties destroy our Nation without atleast crying about it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

saskganesh

I'm impressed he pulled that off. His poll numbers have jumped.

Heh. I guess it's also true that Yo Yo Ma will play will anybody. ;)

Harper is also supposed to be writing a  book about hockey. Based on his pianoman turn, maybe he is actually writing it. If he gets that out soon, he'll have his majority.

humans were created in their own image

Grallon

The main difference between the right and the left is that the left reacts on emotions instead of critical tought.  The left would prefer to see everyone on the Titanic perish because we can't save everyone.

:rolleyes:  I'll simply refer you to all the conservative pundits and militants in the States, who've been screaming for months about death panels, Obama nazi police and other absurdities in the healthcare reform debate.  Critical thinking indeed!

G.

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on October 08, 2009, 01:39:02 PM
:rolleyes:  I'll simply refer you to all the conservative pundits and militants in the States, who've been screaming for months about death panels, Obama nazi police and other absurdities in the healthcare reform debate.  Critical thinking indeed!
Very few people are capable of critical thinking when it comes to health care.  It is an issue that provokes histrionics in all sorts.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.