And we're back!

Main Menu

Girl taken in 1991 surfaces; couple held

Started by viper37, August 27, 2009, 03:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 30, 2009, 03:18:32 AM
Wow, creepy.

How the hell does google get these street level images?

A car with cameras mounted on top. They have to anonymize all people's faces, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

:yes:

Because the guy was so insane he probably thought it was some government vehicle trying to record his brainwaves or something similar.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

This gets weirder, eh? I wonder how the case will go given that the woman chose to stay? She had chances to escape, even worked in the abductor's printing business. But she was just eleven years old when taken, a mellow, shy child, so maybe she was more easily changed or just bonded with the guy.

The perp will have a lot to answer to though, even if the girl chose to remain when she got older. Kidnap, rape and more, and I don't know if the statues of limitations count since the crime was still going on; however that's all taken into consideration. Then he's a sex offender, ankle bracelet for life, and having kids around is against the law, probably even his own, especially given how they came to be around.

Just amazing the living conditions. She and the kids were in tents and sheds in the backyard. What's the climate like there I wonder? There were pics of the kids at a party, faces blurred, so they were out and about at least sometimes. 

Very disturbing...

Barrister

Quote from: KRonn on August 31, 2009, 01:37:03 PM
This gets weirder, eh? I wonder how the case will go given that the woman chose to stay? She had chances to escape, even worked in the abductor's printing business. But she was just eleven years old when taken, a mellow, shy child, so maybe she was more easily changed or just bonded with the guy.

Non-issue.  First you can't retroactively consent to something - you have to consent at the time.

Second an 11 year old can not consent.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

KRonn

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 01:46:10 PM

Non-issue.  First you can't retroactively consent to something - you have to consent at the time.

Second an 11 year old can not consent.
Ok, that makes sense. I figured that it had to be something like that. As for her bonding, I realize that as a kidnap victim and a child, that her bonding with the guy makes no legal difference. That was just my pondering some reasons of how she wound up remaining in that circumstance.

DontSayBanana

The perp will have a lot to answer to though, even if the girl chose to remain when she got older. Kidnap, rape and more, and I don't know if the statues of limitations count since the crime was still going on; however that's all taken into consideration. Then he's a sex offender, ankle bracelet for life, and having kids around is against the law, probably even his own, especially given how they came to be around.

Just amazing the living conditions. She and the kids were in tents and sheds in the backyard. What's the climate like there I wonder? There were pics of the kids at a party, faces blurred, so they were out and about at least sometimes. 

Very disturbing...

I wouldn't worry about statute of limitations. In California, it looks like there's none on rape , and while it's 10 years for molestation, there's a 1-year window for prosecution when a victim comes forward, regardless of the SOL, IIRC.
Experience bij!

KRonn

Interesting article on what the woman and her children will likely face as they deal with what went on, and try to move on with their lives. Seems pretty good hope, as the article talks about others who have been in similar situations. But it can take a long time.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32638086/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times/

For longtime captives, a complex road home
Experts say Jaycee Dugard's transition to a new life is likely to take years

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Hmm... police are looking into this kidnapper/sex offender as a possible suspect in some murders of women.

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 01, 2009, 10:36:56 AM
A  fragment of bone has been found on the adjoining property.

video
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/32639250#32639250
AFAIK there is doubt that it is a human bone.  I think if the guy was dumping corpses over there more than just one bone fragment would have been unearthed.

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on August 29, 2009, 09:18:16 PM
LULZ, awesome.  Check this out.  Go to maps.google.com and enter this address:

1554 walnut avenue, antioch, ca

(this is the address the chick was held captive at)

First, observe how fucked up the backyard looks with tents pitched all over the place.

Second, switch to street view and 'drive' the Google car south toward Bown Avenue.  You'll see the guy, via the still photos, actually pull his creepo child molester van out of his driveway and tail the Google car for like a block or two.  :lol:

Heh, this has turned into a news story: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,545141,00.html

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on September 01, 2009, 12:05:31 PM
Quote from: Caliga on August 29, 2009, 09:18:16 PM
LULZ, awesome.  Check this out.  Go to maps.google.com and enter this address:

1554 walnut avenue, antioch, ca

(this is the address the chick was held captive at)

First, observe how fucked up the backyard looks with tents pitched all over the place.

Second, switch to street view and 'drive' the Google car south toward Bown Avenue.  You'll see the guy, via the still photos, actually pull his creepo child molester van out of his driveway and tail the Google car for like a block or two.  :lol:

Heh, this has turned into a news story: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,545141,00.html
And you broke the story here!!   ;)

Caliga

:lol: I actually saw someone mention it in an article comment, but I independently verified it before I reposted here.  ;)

Caliga

Larry King strikes again!  Or rather senility strikes again   :lol:

Quote from: transcript excerpt, Larry King Live
KING: Where were you, what happened?

HALL: I was on my way to my boyfriend's house with dinner in my car, he asked me to stop at a grocery store.

KING: Where was this?

HALL: In South Lake Tahoe. And he asked me to stop at a grocery store and pick up some coffee. And so I did.

KING: Your boyfriend.

Story continues below 

HALL: Uh-huh. And I did, and as I came out of the grocery store and got in my car, Phillip knocked on my window and said, you know, I can't seem to get my car to start, it's cold, do you think you could give me a ride, you know, which way are you going? And, of course, he was going to go anyway -- any which way I was going. And so, I did.

KING: Why did you let him in the car?

HALL: I don't know. It was the worst decision I've ever made, I think. It truly was.

KING: What happened when he got in?

HALL: When he got in, I filled his hands with a lot of food that I had in the front seat anyway -- I tried to engage him.

KING: He was holding your food?

HALL: He was. I tried to engage him in small conversation on the trip. Tried to stay on the main street, and when I got ready to turn, he said, where I'm staying is right up the road here. And it was again on another main street that I turned. So I took him a little further up, and then he said, well, it's just around this corner, and I said, well, okay, and I just turned around the corner and pulled over, and he slammed my head into the steering wheel, and pulled out handcuffs. He took my keys out, threw them on the floor, and pulled out handcuffs, and handcuffed me, and said, 'I just want a piece of ass. If you be good, you won't get hurt.'

KING: What did he do with the food?

Dude.... RETIRE.

Darth Wagtaros

That's almost macabre.  Like Larry King by way of Monty Python. 
PDH!