News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Going off to College

Started by Lettow77, August 23, 2009, 10:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Lettuce, where are you going... U of the Cumberlands?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Lettow77

UT Martin, rather.

Marksmanship really isnt a big deal. My overall GPA will be fine, but a little padding is perfectly acceptable, and I -do- need some sort of activity class here and there. As far as activities go, the ones where I shoot stuff are my clear personal favourites, so thats why archery and marksmanship. A citizen has a responsibility to acquit himself well with firearms.

I understand and previously held y'alls concerns about law school, but its really no problem. My classes will suit me well for law school, as I intend to take classes on constitutional law, rhetoric and the like, but I am not going to go to higher education and neglect history, which is my driving passion.

Edit: I am minoring in business, anyhow. Political science/history/business is a good template for law, I feel.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

alfred russel

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 23, 2009, 12:09:48 PM
BB, you took geology? In that instance, I am even less worried about taking history.

I initially viewed it as a selfish decision, as I love history but it does not necesarily pay bills, but I am not too worried. In senior year i'll dabble in a few law oriented classes regardless.

You should be worried that your wackjob historical opinions will get you into some controversy and blackballed from any law school diligent enough to do a google search or read professor recommendations.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

stjaba

As far as padding the GPA goes, when you apply to law school, you have to submit your transcript to the LSADS. The LSADS re-calculates your GPA according to its standards, which means, among other things, that BS classes are removed from your overall average.

Lettow77

If my father can get into law school with his political opinions, I can too.

And if they wont accept me, I wouldent want to go.

But I think you underestimate the degree of acceptance confederate nutjobs get around here. 

Caliga

^_^ Lettuce will be fine, people.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2009, 11:58:23 AMWith hindsight, I wish I had studied history as my undergrad instead of geology.

Hilariously, I occasionally wish I had studied geology instead of history!  :lol:

alfred russel

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 23, 2009, 02:43:19 PM
If my father can get into law scohol with his political opinions, I can too.

And if they wont accept me, I wouldent want to go.

But I think you underestimate the degree of acceptance confederate nutjobs get around here.

How is your father's law practice going?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Lettow77

Thank you for the acceptance, caliga :)

Maybe we should visit sometime! I'd bring you some gift or another.

Caliga

:D You remind me of me when I was your age, young man.  I even had a love affair with the Confederacy going on (including a big stars and bars hanging in my room).  I still love the South, obviously, but have turned my Confederacy-sympathy into a broader love of the Civil War.

Also, I now think Tennessee might be my favorite Southern state after Kentucky.  It used to be Georgia but Atlanta has changed considerably since I was a kid, and entirely for the worse.

Anyway, as for a meetup... given where you'll be going to school, I've been planning for a while to visit Kentucky and Reelfoot Lakes and it looks like you'll be right by there.  No concrete date yet but it'll probably happen in the next year or so.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

ulmont

Quote from: Faeelin on August 23, 2009, 11:20:44 AM
History is a poor choice for law school, IMO.

Meh.  I did Computer Science, and it hasn't hurt anything.

Strix

Quote from: Caliga on August 23, 2009, 02:43:22 PM
^_^ Lettuce will be fine, people.

:yes:

Of course he will. It's college. If you can't be extreme in college than where can you?!?

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on August 23, 2009, 02:45:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2009, 11:58:23 AMWith hindsight, I wish I had studied history as my undergrad instead of geology.

Hilariously, I occasionally wish I had studied geology instead of history!  :lol:

Why?  :huh:

I found intro geology to be really interesting.  It's really just a really big history class - the history of the earth.  But it was the 2nd and 3rd year classes that nearly killed me, spending hours staring down a microscope at mineral samples.  Optical Mineralogy FTL. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

callmeclemens

Marksmanship isn't that ridiculous, I had gone to school at a university in West Virginia that offered Water polo and basket weaving as courses.