News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Converting to Judaism in ancient times

Started by viper37, August 14, 2009, 10:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2009, 01:07:55 PMWhich ones?
I can't name them off the top of my head.  :huh:  Check wikipedia or something.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2009, 01:37:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2009, 01:07:55 PMWhich ones?
I can't name them off the top of my head.  :huh:  Check wikipedia or something.

I was under the impression that the Ethiopian Bible had Jubilees and Enoch but these were compiled around the same time as the Western Bible.  So it's not really comparable to Mormons.  Mormons are to Christianity as Nation of Islam is to Islam.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PRC

Most of the Mormons I know have framed pictures of Christ in prominent positions in their homes and offices.  I'd think the whole worshipping Christ thing makes them Christians.

Ed Anger

I just converted to Mithras worship. I'm grilling steaks tonight.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: Siege on August 18, 2009, 08:04:29 PM
Wait, there is a diference between the two?
I thought it was a diferent name for the same sect...
they're like Samaritans and Jews ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: PRC on August 19, 2009, 02:15:29 PM
Most of the Mormons I know have framed pictures of Christ in prominent positions in their homes and offices.  I'd think the whole worshipping Christ thing makes them Christians.

Hey Muslims regard Jesus as a prophet as well.  They aren't Christians.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Queequeg on August 19, 2009, 11:48:29 AM

These Kazakh women are kinda HOTT.

That is my contribution to this thread.

dps

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2009, 08:18:10 AM
:huh:

You guys are acting like there is some legal definition of "Christian".  Unless you are some flavor of believing Christian yourself, I don't understand the reason behind wanting to denigrate the Mormons.  Their theology is radically different from mainstream Christianity, yes, but I'm not sure why that makes them "not Christian".  They still believe in God and that Jesus was the son of God.

Way, way back on the old board (might have been one of the first big threads there) we had a debate about what makes one a Christian.  Several of us were of the opinion that if one subscribes to the doctrines presented in the Nicene Creed (or other, similar statements of faith), that would suffice to describe your beliefs as Christian.  But no-one seemed to know if Mormons would agree with the doctines presented in the Creed.

Caliga

Actually, I know the answer to that one--the Latter-Day Saints reject the Nicene Creed.  They do so for what I think are obvious reasons: the Creed mentions the resurrection but implies there will not be any earthly existence following Jesus's Second Coming and the Last Judgment.  Once of the central themes of the Book of Mormon is that Jesus has already returned to Earth once following his first death+resurrection and preached the Gospel in Mesoamerica.  That's why Mormons are always doing archaeological digs in Mexico and countries south; they're trying to find proof of that second coming among the ruins... or at least something suggesting the geography/history as laid out in the Book of Mormon is even remotely possible.

It's weird that I have no recollection of that thread, though.  :huh:

Viking

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 19, 2009, 02:18:42 PM
I just converted to Mithras worship. I'm grilling steaks tonight.

Pascal's Wager moved me to Ásatrú. Thor FTW!!

All I have to do is to die in battle!
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2009, 09:48:01 PM
That's why Mormons are always doing archaeological digs in Mexico and countries south; they're trying to find proof of that second coming among the ruins... or at least something suggesting the geography/history as laid out in the Book of Mormon is even remotely possible.

great  <_< all the wrong reasons to archeaology. Smells like pre-WW2 german archeology and it's attempts to prove ancient-germanness of places.

Caliga

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 20, 2009, 12:11:05 AMgreat  <_< all the wrong reasons to archeaology. Smells like pre-WW2 german archeology and it's attempts to prove ancient-germanness of places.
OMG SECRET NAZI MORMONS!!!!111  :cool:

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: PRC on August 19, 2009, 02:15:29 PM

Some Hindus will have a framed picture of Jesus.  Ganesh and Hanuman too.

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on August 20, 2009, 05:26:23 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 20, 2009, 12:11:05 AMgreat  <_< all the wrong reasons to archeaology. Smells like pre-WW2 german archeology and it's attempts to prove ancient-germanness of places.
OMG SECRET NAZI MORMONS!!!!111  :cool:

This sounds like something Finnish nerds might make a movie about. Or a Eurovision entry.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Obersturmbannführer Brigham Young IV and the Raiders of the Lost Guatemalan Lizard People:cool: