And we're back!

Main Menu

What makes a person a particular race?

Started by merithyn, August 13, 2009, 09:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 18, 2009, 07:09:29 AM
Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 07:08:20 AM
For the record, I think it's great that you are exposing your kids to different cultures like this.  I have a co-worker who is so provincial she won't go out to lunch with us for anything "different", which to her includes Chinese, Mexican, etc. ... all of which are "too spicy".  :rolleyes:

America hater.

You know what I hate? DORA THE EXPLORER.

I hate it too, though not I assume for the same reasons.  ;)

I was forced to watch some of that shit lately by an invasion of Carl's Dora-mad girl-cousins. Boring and repetitive even by toddler TV standards.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: Malthus on August 18, 2009, 07:48:36 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 18, 2009, 07:09:29 AM
Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 07:08:20 AM
For the record, I think it's great that you are exposing your kids to different cultures like this.  I have a co-worker who is so provincial she won't go out to lunch with us for anything "different", which to her includes Chinese, Mexican, etc. ... all of which are "too spicy".  :rolleyes:

America hater.

You know what I hate? DORA THE EXPLORER.

I hate it too, though not I assume for the same reasons.  ;)

I was forced to watch some of that shit lately by an invasion of Carl's Dora-mad girl-cousins. Boring and repetitive even by toddler TV standards.

The Map song is an abomination. ITS THE MAP, ITS THE MAP, ITS THE MAP.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 18, 2009, 07:51:08 AM

The only way it is made halfway bearable is by imagining that it is all a set-up for an invasion of brutal conquistadors, who will proceed to use THE MAP to find each and every last one of Dora's companions and brutally enslave them in the name of Christ and Spain.

"Backpack, backpack, has slave chains and crucifixes and a musket too ... "

Dora Conquistadora.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: Malthus on August 18, 2009, 07:57:07 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 18, 2009, 07:51:08 AM

The only way it is made halfway bearable is by imagining that it is all a set-up for an invasion of brutal conquistadors, who will proceed to use THE MAP to find each and every last one of Dora's companions and brutally enslave them in the name of Christ and Spain.

"Backpack, backpack, has slave chains and crucifixes and a musket too ... "

Dora Conquistadora.  :P

:lol:

I like the cut of your jib.

Dora dies of Smallpox.

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on August 17, 2009, 07:33:27 PM
Quote from: PDH on August 17, 2009, 06:58:53 PM
He likes deliberately misunderstanding science.
Fixed your post. 

I was generous and included the pseudo-sciences in my statement.  :)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

So, race is language, except when it is not, because it is also physical characteristics (picked not meaningfully but by what is decided is important), and it is lineage MtDNA that somehow, despite all evidence, plays a meaningful role in biological expression.  Race is also constructed, except when it is not, and it is so obvious that really we don't need to dissect it because it just is.

I think I have it now, Grumbler!
Oh, Ed, you can be a Sith.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on August 18, 2009, 08:09:33 AM

Oh, Ed, you can be a Sith.

Awesome. Princess leia will be fondled roughly.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 18, 2009, 08:00:08 AM

Dora dies of Smallpox.

:thumbsup:  I never put Dora on for Tommy, but the babysitter apparently does.  Every time we're at a store & he sees anything with Dora on it (which is ~25% of an entire store's merchandise), he yells "DORA!!!"

Oh, and my parents were watching him yesterday & disobeyed my orders not to show him Barney or Caillou :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on August 18, 2009, 09:24:39 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 18, 2009, 08:00:08 AM

Dora dies of Smallpox.

:thumbsup:  I never put Dora on for Tommy, but the babysitter apparently does.  Every time we're at a store & he sees anything with Dora on it (which is ~25% of an entire store's merchandise), he yells "DORA!!!"

Oh, and my parents were watching him yesterday & disobeyed my orders not to show him Barney or Caillou :angry:

If I tried to order my parents around on watching the grandkids, I'd receive a long winded lecture and they would show the kids the forbidden cartoon anyways, just to show me.  :blush:

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on August 18, 2009, 06:59:29 AM
That may be the case in Spain, but even in my Spanish class at University we learned the Latin American version of the language, which included contractions, etc. (

:bleeding:

All throughout high school and college, I was fortunate enough to only be taught Spanish the way God wants us to speak it.  Vosotros FTW
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 18, 2009, 09:29:00 AM
If I tried to order my parents around on watching the grandkids, I'd receive a long winded lecture and they would show the kids the forbidden cartoon anyways, just to show me.  :blush:

My parents try to comply with my orders, but they just forget.  He was dancing to some horrible early 90s Barney video when I picked him up last night :bleeding:

I guess I need to give them more stuff to keep on hand, from the approved list: Yo Gabba Gabba, Sesame Street, Pocoyo, Kipper, and war movies.

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 18, 2009, 09:29:00 AM

Attempting to order my parents not to do whatever with the kid would not work out well for me, either.  :Embarrass:

derspiess

Quote from: Slargos on August 18, 2009, 07:39:52 AM
I, too, enjoy Corona beer.

Could I be: Closet hispanic?  :(

No, just someone who enjoys really horrible beer.

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on August 18, 2009, 09:32:59 AM
Attempting to order my parents not to do whatever with the kid would not work out well for me, either.  :Embarrass:

Mine are meek enough to comply; just too bad that they're old & forgetful.

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on August 18, 2009, 08:09:33 AM
So, race is language, except when it is not, because it is also physical characteristics (picked not meaningfully but by what is decided is important), and it is lineage MtDNA that somehow, despite all evidence, plays a meaningful role in biological expression.  Race is also constructed, except when it is not, and it is so obvious that really we don't need to dissect it because it just is.

I think I have it now, Grumbler!
An easier explanation is "race is whatever you need it to be, if you are a racist."  Since it is a poorly-fabricated concept, it need obey no laws of logic.  :cool:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!