How I Joined Teach for America—and Got Sued for $20 Million

Started by Savonarola, July 31, 2009, 01:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

It is covered in 6th grade:

6.2   Students analyze the geographic, political, economic, religious, and social structures of the early civilizations of Mesopotamia, Egypt, and Kush.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Jaron

Please note:

That really means: students draw a map of mesopotamia, read a couple of myths, make king tut masks, and go back to learning cursive. :P

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on August 04, 2009, 04:09:12 PM
Connecting the sumerians and babylonians to western political thought may not be at the high school level, but certainly they should learn about them in a course on western history. Don't you think?

Well, yes. But expecting more than a sketchy outline may be a bit too ambitious.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on August 04, 2009, 03:50:13 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 04, 2009, 03:36:58 PM
So no sumerians, babylonians, assyrians, egyptians(!), persians either? I'm not against teaching to the test in subjects like math or science, but if history tests are going to exclude so much material, then I don't think teaching to the test is adequate.

Your average student may find it difficult to 'relate the moral and ethical principles in ancient sumerian, babylonian, assyrian, egyptian and persian thought to the development of Western political thought'.  ;)
I made my students write an essay comparing the Justinian concept of law to our own.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

I wasn't allowed to assign writing.

Them: "Don't assign any writing assignments."

Me: "Why not?"

Them: "Because their writing abilities are low, so we don't make them write. Also, this is history class, not english."

Me: :ultra: "Okay :) "

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 04, 2009, 04:25:04 PM
Quote10.9.8   Discuss the establishment and work of the United Nations and the purposes and functions of the Warsaw Pact, SEATO, NATO, and the Organization of American States

Wait a second - SEATO had a function ????
Goodwill with Australia and New Zealand.  Gave Nixon something to do when he wasn't filling in for Eisenhower's disabled ass.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jaron

Quote from: Neil on August 04, 2009, 04:47:07 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 04, 2009, 04:25:04 PM
Quote10.9.8   Discuss the establishment and work of the United Nations and the purposes and functions of the Warsaw Pact, SEATO, NATO, and the Organization of American States

Wait a second - SEATO had a function ????
Goodwill with Australia and New Zealand.  Gave Nixon something to do when he wasn't filling in for Eisenhower's disabled ass.

:P

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 04, 2009, 04:35:09 PM
So no sumerians, babylonians, assyrians, egyptians(!), persians either? I'm not against teaching to the test in subjects like math or science, but if history tests are going to exclude so much material, then I don't think teaching to the test is adequate.

Your average student may find it difficult to 'relate the moral and ethical principles in ancient sumerian, babylonian, assyrian, egyptian and persian thought to the development of Western political thought'.  ;)
I made my students write an essay comparing the Justinian concept of law to our own.

As far as I know Justinian wasn't a "sumerian, babylonian, assyrian, egyptian [or] persian".  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jaron

Quote from: Malthus on August 04, 2009, 05:02:57 PM

As far as I know Justinian wasn't a "sumerian, babylonian, assyrian, egyptian [or] persian".  :lol:

:lol:

Ed Anger

Should have made them do a report on The Secret History
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on August 04, 2009, 05:02:57 PM

But he doesn't fall under the category of "Greek, Roman or Jew"
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

When I had to teach 8th grade , my teacher made me give the students revolutionary war masks to cut out and made up some shit she called "University of US Constitutional Law" and made me hand them fake hand written diplomas if they get an A on the test while she played Pomp and Circumstance on her ghetto blaster.

A part of me died that day. :weep:

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 04, 2009, 05:05:09 PM
Should have made them do a report on The Secret History

10.1.4   Students compare and contrast the political ramifications of the Empress Theodora's "animal act" stage show on the Byzantine mob, with the media circus surrounding Clinton's infamous Whitehouse blowjob.   

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 04, 2009, 05:06:47 PM

Disagree. He was both ethnically Roman (spoke Latin rather than Greek as a child) and grew to preside over a court that still considered itself "Roman".  The Corpus Juris Civilis was written in Latin and was self-conciously a compilation of "Roman" law.

Jaron

Quote from: Malthus on August 04, 2009, 05:15:38 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 04, 2009, 05:06:47 PM

Disagree. He was both ethnically Roman (spoke Latin rather than Greek as a child) and grew to preside over a court that still considered itself "Roman".  The Corpus Juris Civilis was written in Latin and was self-conciously a compilation of "Roman" law.

Agree.