How I Joined Teach for America—and Got Sued for $20 Million

Started by Savonarola, July 31, 2009, 01:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

These are the california standards for the ancient period:

10.1   Students relate the moral and ethical principles in ancient Greek and Roman philosophy, in Judaism, and in Christianity to the development of Western political thought.

10.1.1   Analyze the similarities and differences in Judeo-Christian and Greco-Roman views of law, reason and faith, and duties of the individual.

10.1.2   Trace the development of the Western political ideas of the rule of law and illegitimacy of tyranny, using selections from Plato's Republic and Aristotle's Politics.

10.1.3   Consider the influence of the U.S. Constitution on political systems in the contemporary world.

So Jews, Greeks, Romans. If you wanted to take a detour for a few weeks, you'd have a hard time justifying teaching something that the students won't be tested on and does not appear in the standard anywhere.

You're pretty free to teach how you want to, but you have to stick to the standards. Some teachers do stray a little bit outside, like one of the teachers I worked with spent a week on Vietnam, where Vietnam is only a minor bullet point in the standard. (It is taught more thoroughly in US history - this is World History).

So, in California - no Byzantium for me.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Jaron

This one is my favorite:

10.10   Students analyze instances of nation-building in the contemporary world in at least two of the following regions or countries: the Middle East, Africa, Mexico and other parts of Latin America, and China.

They don't tell you which areas they'll be testing on though. :P

alfred russel

Quote from: Jaron on August 04, 2009, 03:28:16 PM

10.1   Students relate the moral and ethical principles in ancient Greek and Roman philosophy, in Judaism, and in Christianity to the development of Western political thought.

10.1.1   Analyze the similarities and differences in Judeo-Christian and Greco-Roman views of law, reason and faith, and duties of the individual.

10.1.2   Trace the development of the Western political ideas of the rule of law and illegitimacy of tyranny, using selections from Plato's Republic and Aristotle's Politics.

10.1.3   Consider the influence of the U.S. Constitution on political systems in the contemporary world.

So Jews, Greeks, Romans. If you wanted to take a detour for a few weeks, you'd have a hard time justifying teaching something that the students won't be tested on and does not appear in the standard anywhere.

You're pretty free to teach how you want to, but you have to stick to the standards. Some teachers do stray a little bit outside, like one of the teachers I worked with spent a week on Vietnam, where Vietnam is only a minor bullet point in the standard. (It is taught more thoroughly in US history - this is World History).

So no sumerians, babylonians, assyrians, egyptians(!), persians either? I'm not against teaching to the test in subjects like math or science, but if history tests are going to exclude so much material, then I don't think teaching to the test is adequate.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jaron

Quote from: alfred russel on August 04, 2009, 03:36:58 PM
Quote from: Jaron on August 04, 2009, 03:28:16 PM

So no sumerians, babylonians, assyrians, egyptians(!), persians either? I'm not against teaching to the test in subjects like math or science, but if history tests are going to exclude so much material, then I don't think teaching to the test is adequate.

I'm sure they are mentioned in the textbook, but it is considered largely optional. And really, I think some of this stuff might be covered in earlier grades. But obviously pre high school , school is more social and character development in nature than academic. If they studied Egypt, they likely cut out pharaoh masks or something. :P

Jaron

Quote from: The Brain on August 04, 2009, 03:38:38 PM
So no sumerians, babylonians, assyrians, egyptians(!), persians either?

No, no muslims.

Muslims are quite minimal in this , yes. :P

alfred russel

Quote from: Jaron on August 04, 2009, 03:40:34 PM

I'm sure they are mentioned in the textbook, but it is considered largely optional. And really, I think some of this stuff might be covered in earlier grades. But obviously pre high school , school is more social and character development in nature than academic. If they studied Egypt, they likely cut out pharaoh masks or something. :P

What grade are you teaching?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Malthus

Your average student may find it difficult to 'relate the moral and ethical principles in ancient sumerian, babylonian, assyrian, egyptian and persian thought to the development of Western political thought'.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

Quote from: Malthus on August 04, 2009, 03:50:13 PM

Your average student may find it difficult to 'relate the moral and ethical principles in ancient sumerian, babylonian, assyrian, egyptian and persian thought to the development of Western political thought'.  ;)
What's not to love about a religion that forces the youngest, hottest girls to become prostitutes at temples?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on August 04, 2009, 03:50:13 PM

Especially if they are only taught about Judiasm and the Greeks and Romans. :P

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on August 04, 2009, 03:55:51 PM

It may be a bit of a stretch even if they are given a good background in Sumerian studies and the like.  :lol:

Though temple prostitution is, of course, a lesson for the ages.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on August 04, 2009, 04:04:32 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 04, 2009, 03:55:51 PM

It may be a bit of a stretch even if they are given a good background in Sumerian studies and the like.  :lol:

Though temple prostitution is, of course, a lesson for the ages.

Connecting the sumerians and babylonians to western political thought may not be at the high school level, but certainly they should learn about them in a course on western history. Don't you think?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2009, 04:42:50 PM
Quote from: swallow on August 03, 2009, 08:16:21 AM
This works.  I moved my kid to a school that does this and it has very good results.  Basically, every single kid is shown they are valued for their aspects of character that have allowed them to achieve whatever it is they achieve- either academic or other. It wobbles a bit when the children have to do SATs, because for the first time, the less academic children feel less valued and their behaviour and effort does falter a little, but basically, it allows the children to fly.
SATs?  Aren't you British?
SATS, not SAT.
Exams taken by kids in year 6 and year 9.

Weird (but good) sounding school that it wouldn't care about them...Most are obsessed despite them being utterly pointless.

edit- oh, and younger kids do them too. Year 3 I think.
██████
██████
██████

Jaron

Quote from: alfred russel on August 04, 2009, 03:48:31 PM
Quote from: Jaron on August 04, 2009, 03:40:34 PM

What grade are you teaching?

I'm not now, but earlier this year I was teaching 10th grade world history and 12th grade economics. Yes, we're sorta fucked. :P

The Minsky Moment

Quote10.9.8   Discuss the establishment and work of the United Nations and the purposes and functions of the Warsaw Pact, SEATO, NATO, and the Organization of American States

Wait a second - SEATO had a function ????
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson