The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2009, 01:53:10 AM
Anyone seen that Koren movie about the Korean War; Brotherhood I believe it was called?
Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War.  No.  I want to though.  I saw it at Blockbuster a few times.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Fate

Although it was a 7-part miniseries, Generation Kill was excellent.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Fate

[timmah] Why isn't Letters from Iwo Jima on that list?  :mad: [/timmah]

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

The Brain

Anyone seen that Koren movie about the Korean War; Brotherhood I believe it was called?

Been sitting on my shelf for a year. I just haven't got around to watching it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Alatriste

A friend of mine has lent me Tae Guk Gi... and Gallipoli too. I'm interested in both, but I wonder why I have forgotten everything about Gallipoli except the final race against the clock, with the music of J.M. Jarre IIRC...

Josephus

Quote from: Alatriste on July 29, 2009, 01:05:45 AM
We could make a Languish list of great war movies.

I was thinking of assigning up to 5 votes per Languishite and up to 5 negative votes, i.e. war movies we absolutely hate. What do you think?

I was thinking about something like that too.

Maybe at firs we ought to narrow the playing field by having nominations and seconds until we get a list of 30 or 40 and then we vote on those movies.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

How about this:

Start with the Torygraph list, then do a ladder.  Propose a movie not on the list, match it up against one on the list.  Vote.  If the challenger wins you have a new list.  Rinse, repeat.

saskganesh

I watched Die Brucke last night (it's been decades I think) and it holds up. The bridge fight scene seems to have been a strong influence on the bridge fight scene of Private Ryan. But without the happybittersweetending. It's just bitter.
humans were created in their own image

MadBurgerMaker

Yeah, I saw that a couple years ago now, I guess it was.  It wasn't too bad at all, from what I remember.  I never got around to buying it though, for what that's worth.

saskganesh

basically a very graphic melodrama. well done but very predictable story about two brothers who start on the same side but wind up as opponents. it's ok, but not great.
humans were created in their own image

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2009, 07:23:56 AM
How about this:

Start with the Torygraph list, then do a ladder.  Propose a movie not on the list, match it up against one on the list.  Vote.  If the challenger wins you have a new list.  Rinse, repeat.

Too much rinsing and repeating to be viable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 29, 2009, 05:43:49 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2009, 07:23:56 AM
How about this:

Too much rinsing and repeating to be viable.
You should ALWAYS rinse and repeat.  ALWAYS. 
PDH!