The twenty best war movies, according to the Torygraph

Started by Alatriste, July 27, 2009, 07:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 29, 2009, 06:54:33 PMOf course not.  This is the final test.  Once you solve this riddle everything else in life, from women to the stock market to the cheat code for Mike Tyson's Punch become no more of a challenge than velcrowing your shoes.

Wow.....Now I know why I have failed so miserably in life.  :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

20. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) / Lewis Milestone
19. The Dam Busters (1955) / Michael Anderson
18. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) / David Lean
17. Ice-Cold in Alex (1958) / J. Lee Thompson
16. The Longest Day (1962) / Ken Annakin, Bernhard Wicki, Andrew Marton and Darryl F. Zanuck
15. The Great Escape (1963) / John Sturges
14. Zulu (1964) / Cy Enfield
13. Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970) / Richard Fleischer, Kinji Fukasaku and Toshio Masuda
12. Cross of Iron (1977) / Sam Peckinpah
11. The Deer Hunter (1978) / Michael Cimino
10. Apocalypse Now (1979) / Francis Ford Coppola
9. Platoon (1986) / Oliver Stone
8. Full Metal Jacket (1987) / Stanley Kubrick
7. Good Morning, Vietnam (1987) / Barry Levinson
6. Schindlers List (1993) / Steven Speilberg
5. Saving Private Ryan (1998) / Steven Spielberg
4. Black Hawk Down (2001) / Ridley Scott
2. Jarhead (2005) / Sam Mendes
1. The Admiral (2008) / Andrei Kravchuk
Most Glorious Monument of Military Filmmaking A Bridge Too Far

Someon else toss one in.

Sophie Scholl

Patton to replace Jarhead.  We'll go for the easy ones first.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on July 29, 2009, 08:58:28 PM
http://www.moviefone.com/insidemovies/2007/03/07/best-war-movies/
A slightly better starting list maybe.  Take a look.  Still needs some work though.

I think they nailed #1.
A bit better, but we have already started, so I think we should just stick with the existing list.

Don't agree about The Longest Day, though.  It was much ballyhooed because of the cast, but the story is actually not well-told here, IMO.  Some great moments, but confusing and poorly paced.

Of course, my tastes are not everyone's.  I thought Apocalypse Now a snoozefest when Robert Duvall was not on-screen, for instance, and wouldn't even have it in my top-25, let alone #2..
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on July 29, 2009, 09:34:18 PM
Patton to replace Jarhead.  We'll go for the easy ones first.
I was just typing up Patton to replace Good Morning, Vietnam, but will go with your choice.  I vote aye.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

katmai

Swofford ....you bastard, I've read your book! aka Patton over Jarhead.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

dps

Admiral Yi

Patton.

Still has the worst battle scenes ever filmed.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2009, 09:43:51 PM
Patton.

Nope.  That honor goes to Battle of the Bulge.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Armyknife on July 29, 2009, 10:24:18 PM
Didn't the M47s in both of those films see more 'action' than the tanks did in real life ?
Yes.  In December 1944 only two German battalions had them, and neither was involved in the Battle of the Bulge.

Bayraktar!

Siege

Quote from: grumbler on July 29, 2009, 10:08:46 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2009, 09:43:51 PM
Patton.

Nope.  That honor goes to Battle of the Bulge.

Yeah. Even I, back then when I was a kid and I saw it for the first time, could tell those tanks weren't Tiger 2s.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Sophie Scholl

Side question:  What is the best Bulge movie in people's opinions?  I'd say either A Midnight Clear (which is technically just prior) or Battleground.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

I disagree about Jarhead, I felt it was a decent film.  But we're talking tops of all time, so it doesn't make the cut.

Apocalypse Now is an allegory, not a war flick.  War just happened to be the vehicle.

I vote for dumping Good Morning Vietnam and Schindler's List;  not even war movies. 
A Midnight Clear was a better a war movie than Bulge, which sucked.