News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Why did the Dominican Inquisitor Stephen of Bourbon dig up and destroy the bones of Saint Guinefort in the 13th century, all in an attempt to end the veneration of this saint?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

He was an early Christian with heretical beliefs?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Nope.

And this is somewhat known, there was a movie made about this incident.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Drakken

Quote from: PDH on January 20, 2012, 02:06:39 PM
Nope.

And this is somewhat known, there was a movie made about this incident.

Really, what movie? (In PM, not to spoil the answer)

Razgovory

Oh, I know now.  The saint was not human.  If I'm right, the Floor is open.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

I think you can search his name and it will show the movie.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Because St. Guinefort's grave was situated so that the venerators who approached it trampled Stephen's vegetable garden.  Stephen was very proud of his vegetable garden, and rightly so.

PDH

Raz is close, and to say so gives it away.  St Guinefort was a greyhound to whom mothers with sick children prayed for healing.  Stephen was excited to find out about Guinefort, but got quite upset when he learned it was a dog.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Drakken

Quote from: PDH on January 20, 2012, 02:18:36 PM
Raz is close, and to say so gives it away.  St Guinefort was a greyhound to whom mothers with sick children prayed for healing.  Stephen was excited to find out about Guinefort, but got quite upset when he learned it was a dog.

I thought it was because mothers would dump their sick babies on the grave to be "healed" by the dog, and so they would oftentimes die of exposure or starvation?

PDH

Stephen said they dumped them there, the cult (which may have lasted for centuries beyond this) didn't actually do this, but they did leave the infants alone after praying to Guinefort in all likelihood - Stephen also said the Devil was the reason for the cult, so you can take his reporting with the grain of salt you would Santorum's statements.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Drakken

A simple, easy one: Where does the term Merovingian take its origins from, as dynasty?

Maximus

Drakken

Quote from: Maximus on January 20, 2012, 03:20:43 PM
Merovic, King of the Franks

CORRECTIVE EDIT:

Well yes, there's the semi-legendary King Merovech or Meroveus (which is the usual origins) from whom Clovis had traced its lineage from. That was the answer I was expecting, but one of the ortographs is "Merovic".  So I grant it to Maximus. :blush:

Maximus

To what royal person did Mercator dedicate his atlas?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."