News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canada Election 2021

Started by Josephus, August 15, 2021, 10:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

You should too.

They are what you hate the most; religious.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on September 08, 2021, 06:23:39 AM
There has been a very large anti-Trudeau faction ever since he got elected. Mostly stupid people who blame him for everything, even things he's got nothing to do with.
Like his inaction on climate change, his inaction on First Nations reconciliation, his inaction on protecting women from sexual harassment in his own party, his inaction on protection the financial future of the next generation, his inaction on making Canada an international leader like he promised, his inaction on planting the billion trees he was supposed to (we have 800 000 so far) plant during his first mandate, his inaction in tackling the rise in gun crimes in Canada since he was elected, his inaction on protection French speakers rights in Canada, his inaction on dealing with provinces from equal to equal, his inaction on shifting Canada from a leader in oil production to a leader in green energy production?

Yeah, I kinda see where you're going to with that.  Soooo unfair.  It's like all those evil (tm) people who can not see all the good Donald Trump has done for the USA and only insists on criticizing him for doing nothing. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2021, 08:55:42 AM
You should too.

I don't hate religious people.  I hate it when they govern with religion in mind.  Trudeau is much, much worst in this aspect: he let religious extremists dictate how our laws should be shaped and implemented and he cuddles them.

Under Harper, the worst we had with religion was a reshaping of international aid according to their religious principles.  That was a stupid move, but far from a catastrophe.  Canada's international aid does not in itself shape how poor, foreign countries treat issues like abortion and women's rights.

The Conservatives took a stand against China.  Under the PLC policy of appeasement, we have two citizens indefinitely detained in China.  How is this better?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2021, 08:58:07 AM
There has been a very large anti-Trudeau faction ever since he got elected. Mostly stupid people who blame him for everything, even things he's got nothing to do with.
Like his inaction on climate change, his inaction on First Nations reconciliation, his inaction on protecting women from sexual harassment in his own party, his inaction on protection the financial future of the next generation, his inaction on making Canada an international leader like he promised, his inaction on planting the billion trees he was supposed to (we have 800 000 so far) plant during his first mandate, his inaction in tackling the rise in gun crimes in Canada since he was elected, his inaction on protection French speakers rights in Canada, his inaction on dealing with provinces from equal to equal, his inaction on shifting Canada from a leader in oil production to a leader in green energy production?

Yeah, I kinda see where you're going to with that.  Soooo unfair.  It's like all those evil (tm) people who can not see all the good Donald Trump has done for the USA and only insists on criticizing him for doing nothing. ;)

See y'all forget that we had this COVID thing, which really got in the way of governing.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2021, 09:02:52 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2021, 08:55:42 AM
You should too.

I don't hate religious people.  I hate it when they govern with religion in mind.  Trudeau is much, much worst in this aspect: he let religious extremists dictate how our laws should be shaped and implemented and he cuddles them.

Under Harper, the worst we had with religion was a reshaping of international aid according to their religious principles.  That was a stupid move, but far from a catastrophe.  Canada's international aid does not in itself shape how poor, foreign countries treat issues like abortion and women's rights.

The Conservatives took a stand against China.  Under the PLC policy of appeasement, we have two citizens indefinitely detained in China.  How is this better?

Harper is gone. The socon hold the party now & they will govern with religion in mind. 96 members of the current caucus, 96!, are forced birth assholes raging war against women.

They didn't take a stand, they sold us out! The whole reason the Liberal government had to buy the Pipeline was to keep with the terms of the China deal.

Don't make the same mistakes our friends in the RoC keep doing & expect the federal government to fix things that are in the provincial sphere. We elect strong provincial governments for a reason.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 07, 2021, 05:10:21 PM
Btw, BB, what can you tell us about the dude from that New Albertan/Western Bloc?  A separatist devil or a simple nationalist devil? ;)

Who are you referring to?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2021, 09:09:57 AM
The whole reason the Liberal government had to buy the Pipeline was to keep with the terms of the China deal.

That is not accurate at all.  The pipeline was an upgrade of an existing pipeline which needed to be replaced and the company that owned the pipeline decided to attempt to double the pipeline while they were at it.  The expansion had nothing to do with a deal with China.  It had everything to do with providing more throughput for producers to sell into the Asian market.

The Liberals should not have bought that pipeline.  The role of government is to regulate, not own, these ventures.  I am still very unhappy that our tax dollars were used to bail out investors from Texas by buying all their shares.  I still think the project makes no sense for a long list of reasons. But if it does make economic sense to do it, sell the damn thing and let the private sector do it.  If it does not make economic sense, don't pour our tax money into it just to please Alberta.

QuoteDon't make the same mistakes our friends in the RoC keep doing & expect the federal government to fix things that are in the provincial sphere. We elect strong provincial governments for a reason.

This seems to be a narrative that pops up a lot.  I can only assume it is because people in Quebec don't get much news about what other provincial governments are doing - particularly in BC.

crazy canuck

There are also people, me among them, who are not too keen on Trudeau for a number of valid reasons, but since I have just been labelled as stupid - you seem not to want to hear them  :P

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2021, 11:09:39 AM
Don't make the same mistakes our friends in the RoC keep doing & expect the federal government to fix things that are in the provincial sphere. We elect strong provincial governments for a reason.

This seems to be a narrative that pops up a lot.  I can only assume it is because people in Quebec don't get much news about what other provincial governments are doing - particularly in BC.

From another forum I frequent where there I am on the right side of issues. It is a constant barrage of progressive people from Alberta, BC & Ontario complaining that the federal government need to fix things that are provincial issues. It's true, I have no idea what the BC NDP does or doesn't do but I'm guessing those people do & that is what they complain about so much.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2021, 11:26:29 AM

There are also people, me among them, who are not too keen on Trudeau for a number of valid reasons, but since I have just been labelled as stupid - you seem not to want to hear them  :P

Meh---you know I've got nothing against reasonable debate; and you know that's not what I mean. I appreciate that there are different political points of view; and I appreciate that there are valid reasons to not like Trudeau.

I'm talking about the majority of those who show up outside Trudeau's campaign speeches, most of whom are the same crowd who shows up at anti vax rallies and anti mask rallies. A crowd who blames Trudeau, as I said, not for a few things, or several things, or many things. But for everything.

My rent is high. Fuck Trudeau. Gas prices are high. Fuck Trudeau. My Internet is slow. Fuck Trudeau. I can't find a job. Fuck Trudeau. I didn't get into university. Fuck Trudeau.

So please tell me what you don't like about JT

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2021, 11:33:00 AM

From another forum I frequent where there I am on the right side of issues. It is a constant barrage of progressive people from Alberta, BC & Ontario complaining that the federal government need to fix things that are provincial issues. It's true, I have no idea what the BC NDP does or doesn't do but I'm guessing those people do & that is what they complain about so much.

A lot of logic leaps there my friend.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2021, 11:46:07 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2021, 11:33:00 AM

A lot of logic leaps there my friend.

#internet

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on September 08, 2021, 11:33:16 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2021, 11:26:29 AM

Meh---you know I've got nothing against reasonable debate; and you know that's not what I mean. I appreciate that there are different political points of view; and I appreciate that there are valid reasons to not like Trudeau.

I'm talking about the majority of those who show up outside Trudeau's campaign speeches, most of whom are the same crowd who shows up at anti vax rallies and anti mask rallies. A crowd who blames Trudeau, as I said, not for a few things, or several things, or many things. But for everything.

My rent is high. Fuck Trudeau. Gas prices are high. Fuck Trudeau. My Internet is slow. Fuck Trudeau. I can't find a job. Fuck Trudeau. I didn't get into university. Fuck Trudeau.

So please tell me what you don't like about JT

1) I don't like how he has centralized all governmental decision making within the PMO - something he promised he would not do but he has gone further down that road than Harper.

2) I really don't like his ongoing policy regarding TMX, as noted above that policy still makes no sense.  There is a recent study out regarding just how foolish the whole thing is.

3) I really don't like how he has handed the indigenous file.  He should have replaced that minister a long time ago.  They are unresponsive and lack any innovation or common sense.  They are even failing to do what Liberals do best - throwing money at the problem.  It is definitely time for a better approach on what is becoming one of the most significant costs to the Federal budget.

4) The thing I like the least is his apparent lack of ability to think deeply about any of his policy choices.  WE was not corruption, it was stupidly.  TMX was political expediency at a huge cost.  The indigenous issues is a paralysis of ideas and solutions.  The COVID response has been terrible at the federal level.  If it was not for BC shaming the Feds into closing the border we would have had several more weeks of infected Americans coming across.  He should also have been working with the provinces to create a Canada wide vaccine passport months ago.  etc etc etc.

The only good thing to say about Trudeau is at least he is not burdened by knuckle dragging social conservatives.  That is O'Toole's problem.

But Singh is also unburdened by that problem and he does not present the same problems Trudeau does.  My main hope is that Trudeau will have to step aside and then then the Liberals can get a leader we can have more confidence in - perhaps Carney.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on September 08, 2021, 11:33:16 AM

But JT isn't the new guy any more - he's a 6 year incumbent.  He gets to wear that stuff.  His attempts to keep blaming Harper are ringing hollow.

"My rent is high" - housing prices is a real and valid issue in this campaign.  He's had 6 years to do something about it and hasn't.

"Gas prices are high" - Trudeau killed the Energy East pipeline which would have brought in cheaper oil and gas from western Canada.  Also carbon tax.

"My internet is slow" - okay maybe not slow, but he DID promise in the past to lower our cell phone bills.  Which hasn't happened.

"I can't find a job" - yes we're coming out of the global Covid-19 pandemic, but it's fair to grade Trudeau on how he's handled the economy.

"I didn't get into university" - maybe not get into, but last time around he did promise to make education more affordable.  Which hasn't happened.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

None of these things are really tied to the "Fuck Trudeau" crowd. The "Fuck Trudeau" crowd is people who have merged their conservative identity with a figure of hatred, egged on by conservative trash radio.
Que le grand cric me croque !