News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

What's up in Maine and the split vote? (iirc?)
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

I'm interpreting this as Trump acknowledging he has lost:

"This is a fraud on the American public," Trump said. "This is an embarrassment to our country. We were getting ready to win this election. Frankly, we did win this election. So our goal now is to ensure the integrity for the good of this nation. This is a very big moment. This is a major fraud on our nation. We want law to be used in a proper manner. So we'll be going to the U.S. Supreme Court. We want all voting to stop. We don't want them to find any ballots at 4 o'clock in the morning. It's a very sad moment. To me, it's a very sad moment. We will win this. As far as I'm concerned, we already have won."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

I will not be satisfied unless Trump's next home after the White House is Riker's Island. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: alfred russel on November 04, 2020, 09:19:15 AM
I'm interpreting this as Trump acknowledging he has lost:

"This is a fraud on the American public," Trump said. "This is an embarrassment to our country. We were getting ready to win this election. Frankly, we did win this election. So our goal now is to ensure the integrity for the good of this nation. This is a very big moment. This is a major fraud on our nation. We want law to be used in a proper manner. So we'll be going to the U.S. Supreme Court. We want all voting to stop. We don't want them to find any ballots at 4 o'clock in the morning. It's a very sad moment. To me, it's a very sad moment. We will win this. As far as I'm concerned, we already have won."

"P.S.: Send money"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2020, 09:18:22 AM
And Nebraska I think, it's the correct way to do it in my view :blush:

Basically there are two statewide electoral college voters (reflecting the Senators) and then one for each congressional district (reflecting the House).

It probably does mean addressing gerrymandering though :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2020, 09:21:27 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2020, 09:18:22 AM

Basically there are two statewide electoral college voters (reflecting the Senators) and then one for each congressional district (reflecting the House).

Aye. I know how it works, and it is better yeah.

Just meant I haven't heard any news from Maine on which way it is going. If Biden just gets michigan and wisconsin he needs that 1 vote.
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

Michigan lead is 19k now. Wouldn't it be fun if it all came down to Nevada flipping red at the last minute?

FunkMonk

Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2020, 05:21:47 AM
What the hell is with jorgensen voters. So many :bleeding:

Jo Jorgenson could hand Georgia to Biden  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Caliga

@Shelf I agree, if every state did it that way, then it's sort of like not having the Electoral College anymore.

Which therefore means we won't do it that way at large. :glare:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2020, 09:20:28 AM
I will not be satisfied unless Trump's next home after the White House is Riker's Island. :sleep:

Actually, I think I've made my peace with it, regardless of whether or not he gets a second term at this point. Enough people support him and his shenanigans, so let them have it. GOP will feel vindicated enough to continue their destructive behavior either way, whether it's a narrow win or loss.

It's kind of like climate change. Yes, I think it's too late to do much about it, because societies and politicians around the world, on the whole (including me) are not willing to take the drastic steps necessary to mitigate it, but I'm in the acceptance face at this point. Can just ride it out and hope conditions remain tolerable here till I kick the bucket.
—Stephen Jay Gould

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2020, 09:21:27 AM

It is a terrible way to do it because of gerrymandering. I saw that it appears Republicans took a state house, and didn't lose any. We redistrict once every 10 years, and 2020 is a redistricting year, so we will be addressing gerrymandering: there will be more of it.

More quotes from Trump, after all these years still dumbfounded that we elected a president that talks like a third grader:

"We're winning Pennsylvania by a tremendous amount of votes," Trump said. "Think of this. We're up 690,000 votes in Pennsylvania. These aren't even close. It's not like, 'oh, it's close.' With 64% of the vote in, it's going to be almost impossible to catch and we're coming into good Pennsylvania areas where they happen to like your president. So we'll probably expand that."

"We're winning Michigan," Trump said. "I looked at the numbers, I said, 'Wow, that's a lot.' By almost 300,000 votes. And 65% of the vote is in. And we're winning Wisconsin."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2020, 09:22:42 AM
Aye. I know how it works, and it is better yeah.

Just meant I haven't heard any news from Maine on which way it is going. If Biden just gets michigan and wisconsin he needs that 1 vote.
Sorry - misunderstood :(

Just had a quick look on the NYT at the House election which should be a pretty good predictor, I'd expect - the Democrats are ahead 54-46 with 60% of the vote in. Obviously people could split their vote.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Yeah... Was thinking about Bidens victory speech just now and it does seem smart for him to take the high road and extend the olive branch there. I understand why so many voted for trump despite his faults, we want to find out what we can do to help, forgiveness peace and love, etc...
As much as trump deserves to go on trial that could cause more trouble than its worth.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Solmyr on November 04, 2020, 09:22:55 AM
Michigan lead is 19k now. Wouldn't it be fun if it all came down to Nevada flipping red at the last minute?

No way that will happen. Nevada has a massive hispanic population.