US 2020 Presidential Election prediction thread

Started by Zoupa, July 12, 2020, 10:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Okay - so my map/guess :ph34r:

Edit: Incidentally - the shading means nothing. I clicked until I got to red/blue per state.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Dems getting Georgia but not getting Florida would be quite weird...

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on November 02, 2020, 08:08:52 AM
Agreed. And I know that rationally that probably won't happen.

But, to use an internet meme, at the back of my head I just have a very deep prejudice that fundamentally Florida is a messy bitch who lives for the drama.

Edit: Because of this I almost think Biden's more likely to win Texas than Florida :lol: :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 02, 2020, 08:15:23 AMAgreed. And I know that rationally that probably won't happen.

But, to use an internet meme, at the back of my head I just have a very deep prejudice that fundamentally Florida is a messy bitch who lives for the drama.

:lol:

Florida usually goes to the winner.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Caliga

Fivethirtyeight just updated their prediction to Biden "clearly favored" to win from "favored".  They've had the Dems as "favored" to win the Senate and "clearly favored" to retain the House for quite some time.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Also, according to their models, for Trump to win he MUST win all of the below swing states:

Pennsylvania, Ohio, North Carolina, Georgia, Texas, Florida, Iowa.

Maladict

Quote from: Caliga on November 02, 2020, 08:55:44 AM
Also, according to their models, for Trump to win he MUST win all of the below swing states:

Pennsylvania, Ohio, North Carolina, Georgia, Texas, Florida, Iowa.
He has a reasonable shot at any of them. All of them is another story.

And that's still not enough, AZ + NE2 or ME2 gets Biden to 270.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on November 02, 2020, 08:49:56 AM
Fivethirtyeight just updated their prediction to Biden "clearly favored" to win from "favored".  They've had the Dems as "favored" to win the Senate and "clearly favored" to retain the House for quite some time.

What does that mean?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

It means pretty much what it says.  I don't know all the variables they are looking at and I don't think they make it public.  I just thought people who follow that website might be interested to know it was updated when I checked it. :sleep:

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on November 02, 2020, 09:19:21 AM
It means pretty much what it says.  I don't know all the variables they are looking at and I don't think they make it public.  I just thought people who follow that website might be interested to know it was updated when I checked it. :sleep:

How does "clearly favored" differ from "favored"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

What's interesting in the 538 model is that if you pick PA to go Trump without changing anything else, the chance of a Trump win goes from 10/100 to 64/100.  :ph34r:

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2020, 09:20:39 AM
How does "clearly favored" differ from "favored"?
It looks like they updated that based on their modeling that shows Biden now has a 90% chance of winning.

DGuller

Quote from: Maladict on November 02, 2020, 09:21:30 AM
What's interesting in the 538 model is that if you pick PA to go Trump without changing anything else, the chance of a Trump win goes from 10/100 to 64/100.  :ph34r:
As I mentioned earlier, I think the correlation assumptions might be a bit too strong here.  If PA goes Trump because Republicans are successful with their funny business, that wouldn't indicate much for the other states.  The correlations would make sense if PA goes Trump because the polls missed some dynamic systemically.

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 02, 2020, 08:15:23 AM
Quote from: The Larch on November 02, 2020, 08:08:52 AM
Agreed. And I know that rationally that probably won't happen.

It isn't crazy--post Reconstruction, Georgia didn't elect a republican governor until 2003. Florida started much earlier than that.  Jimmy Carter came from rural georgia and there is a brand of democratic politics that still has a legacy in the southern rural areas of Georgia--and half the state is a massive and rapidly growing heavily democratic metropolis. Both states have republican governors who won their last elections against black challengers, but both won by only the slimmest of margins.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on November 02, 2020, 09:19:21 AM

I suspect it is algorithmic. They just reduced Trump's chances from 10% to 9%. My guess is that going below 10% was a triger.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014