News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Books and Bookstores

Started by Oexmelin, March 10, 2020, 04:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you still buy books in bookstores?

Frequently, at local independent bookstore.
4 (11.4%)
Frequently, at the outlet of a national chain (Waterstones, B&N, Indigo)
4 (11.4%)
Only infrequently, as convenience / impulse purchase / no bookstore in my area
13 (37.1%)
Overwhelmingly Amazon
13 (37.1%)
I only buy obscure titles from niche publishers because I am dark and mysterious
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Oexmelin

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 10, 2020, 05:50:00 PM
I don't read many books on dead trees but when I do, I get them from ...Costco.

:ultra: :ultra:
Que le grand cric me croque !

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on March 10, 2020, 04:48:59 PM
I visited Whitby lately.
A wonderful town that holds many lovely childhood memories. A big part of these memories was its great collection of second hand book shops.
They... Are all gone.

No way, I loved those shops when I visited.

I try to buy online as little as possible. Luckily there are a couple of good bookstores in town, even if their (English language) selection is a bit limited. Otherwise I enjoy visiting Waterstones in Amsterdam and going on a buying spree abroad.

Tamas

I have very fond memories of going to bookstores, browsing, finding new stuff.

But then the Internet has been invented.

You guys sticking to print books is like people shunning the printing press and keeping to hand-written books. I am sure there was a lot of them at first.

I know an LCD is not the same thing, but an e-ink screen is.

I have now most of my library in my pocket at all times. I can resume reading on a different device at my whim. I can highlight, I can check a word in a dictionary by a single tap. Etc.

I can get bloody samples to make an informed purchase decision.

Not to mention there's no need to kill trees and make ink, binding material, carry the book to the store, maintain the store etc.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 10, 2020, 09:40:37 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 10, 2020, 05:50:00 PM
I don't read many books on dead trees but when I do, I get them from ...Costco.

:ultra: :ultra:

Fabreville isn't exactly full of bookstores, independent or Renaud Bray.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

I do miss it, but no opportunity to do otherwise but use Amazon.

If I lived near a good bookstore, I'd go there.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Traditional bookstores have largely disappeared in Hong Kong.  No way a bookstore can afford the rent.  Most landlords are much better off renting to stores that cater to Mainland tourists.

The remaining bookstores fall into these categories -

1. Bookstore in name only; small-scale department store in reality.  This is popularised by the Taiwanese.  Basically, they brand themselves as bookstores, but only around 30-40% of the store area really sells books.  The books tend to be travel guides and other picture heavy stuff.  The rest of the store is further rented out to all kinds of stuff, from bread shops, vegetable shops, optical shops, to electronics, clothes, you name it.  The shops the bookstore chooses tend to be better quality, more stylish, and slightly less mainstream. 

2. Bookstores directly owned and operated by Beijing's Liaison Office in Hong Kong.  Strangely they do sell anti-Beijing books.  But in small quantities and variety.  Overall they tend to sell Mainland books.

3. Tiny niche operations in hard to reach places where the rent is low enough. 

Pedrito

I live literally a stone's throw from a decent to good chain bookstore, so I mainly buy my books from them.

There's been quite a flourish of very small used book shops lately, and sometimes I browse their shelves for books in editions I like.

I have a Kindle, and use it a lot, but mainly for reading in english, and mainly for SF/fantasy works, that are often a bit easier for the language.

Sometimes I order books from Amazon, if I'm looking for something the physical bookshop doesn't keep in inventory.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Josephus

I tend to go to a bookstore, cause I like browsing; but independents are hard to find. I tend to go to an outlet here called Indigo.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

I like browsing in bookstores, but there's few worth browsing. However, these days I prefer ebooks for fiction, and physical for non-fiction. Unfortunately, non-fiction sections tend to be not that great in shops.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Pedrito

Oh, and I forgot I use the network of public libraries A LOT.

Even nearer than the bookshop I have the public library main branch, that's perfect for fiction books and local history; and then, there are all the college libraries that, for a lifetime signing fee of 1 euro, offer complete and free access to all uni resources and books.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Malthus

There used to be a great independent bookstore at the end of my street! It had an extensive history section - I bought most of my books from them.

They disappeared, to be replaced with a nail salon. There are now no less than six nail salons within three blocks of my house.

Why oh why can't people launder their money through bookstores?  :(

Anyway, now I mostly order books online.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on March 11, 2020, 06:51:50 AM
Unfortunately, non-fiction sections tend to be not that great in shops.

I find most book stores are more than happy to order any book you want. I sometimes browse Amazon for ideas and then order at my local bookstore.

dps

Quote from: Maladict on March 11, 2020, 08:46:03 AM

I find most book stores are more than happy to order any book you want.

This has been my experience as well.

Syt

Yeah, but I might also just order from Amazon and have it delivered to where I like. :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on March 11, 2020, 08:48:59 AM
Yeah, but I might also just order from Amazon and have it delivered to where I like. :hmm:

That's far less carbon footprint than mucking about trying to keep obsolete little businesses alive, though. :P