News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Books and Bookstores

Started by Oexmelin, March 10, 2020, 04:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you still buy books in bookstores?

Frequently, at local independent bookstore.
4 (11.4%)
Frequently, at the outlet of a national chain (Waterstones, B&N, Indigo)
4 (11.4%)
Only infrequently, as convenience / impulse purchase / no bookstore in my area
13 (37.1%)
Overwhelmingly Amazon
13 (37.1%)
I only buy obscure titles from niche publishers because I am dark and mysterious
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on March 10, 2020, 04:33:49 PM
Foyles is owned by Waterstones.
:o Explains the weird semi-chainisation.

QuoteI love exploring such shops but they're a dying breed. My book buying is largely on amazon these days.
Weirdly the village my mum and dad live in, which has one Londis and one pub also has a second hand book shop. Apparently abebooks and a side-hustle in antiquarian books keeps them going, because I've never seen anyone in there (except for me :blush:).
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

I prefer electronic versions of books as that way I can carry all my books with me wherever I go.  And it always remembers my place.

I'm old enough to remember when Barnes & Noble was just 2 stores in Manhattan - the big main store on 5th Avenue and an annex.  That was a great store - a destination it itself.  That store was closed a few years ago.  "B&N" was just a leverage of the brand name applied to various acquisitions (BDalton etc) and expansion initiatives to malls and campuses. I remember the first time I went into an ersatz Barnes & Noble and was disappointed how little it resembled the real thing.

The town I live in now had an independent bookstore - I did shop at that one. It survived the competition from the B&Ns and Amazons of the world, but it couldn't survive a big rent increase from the landlord.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

I live in Portland, home of Powell's Books. ^_^

https://www.powells.com/
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

There were three great independent book stores within 2 blocks of my office in the 90s.  I used to spend way too much time going to each of them and buying arm fulls of books.  The staff in those stores were super helpful and knowledgeable.  They always suggested additional titles/authors I would like and they were almost always right.  Those stores all went bankrupt in the 2000s.  I then went to Indigo/Chapters - they tried but it was not the same.  Now those stores have largely disappeared and I buy electronic books.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 10, 2020, 05:07:22 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 10, 2020, 04:33:49 PM
Foyles is owned by Waterstones.
:o Explains the weird semi-chainisation.

QuoteI love exploring such shops but they're a dying breed. My book buying is largely on amazon these days.
Weirdly the village my mum and dad live in, which has one Londis and one pub also has a second hand book shop. Apparently abebooks and a side-hustle in antiquarian books keeps them going, because I've never seen anyone in there (except for me :blush:).

Yes, I was quite sad when I learned it had been purchased. Sale to Waterstones happened in 2018.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 10, 2020, 05:10:18 PM
I prefer electronic versions of books as that way I can carry all my books with me wherever I go.  And it always remembers my place.

Same, but also this means that I can store all my books in my tiny house.

Caliga

I only read books on my Kindle now.  Physical books are for old people. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Real books rule. Fucking millenials.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

I don't read many books on dead trees but when I do, I get them from the library or Costco.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HisMajestyBOB

Mostly Amazon. However, I've recently started getting books just from the library, and only buying those with a long waitlist or that are unavailable.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on March 10, 2020, 05:28:39 PM
I only read books on my Kindle now.  Physical books are for old people. :sleep:
Young folk are least likely to buy e-books (publishers put in an effort nowadays so physical books look nice + a Kindle isn't as instagrammable) :console:

I have a Kindle which I use for some books so have a mix. There's no need to be absolutist about either.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Mostly my on my Kindle.  There aren't exactly many independent book stores in town.  There's a local place that sells books and toys, a place that sells religious tracts, and a place that sells comic books.  That's pretty much it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

I marked that I buy at chains, but that really applied to when I lived in NC.  There aren't any chains located out here in rural Indiana, and I guess if I want to buy any new books now I'll have to drive about 30 miles (there is a local used book store I need to check out).

I haven't lived anywhere that had a decent bookstore (at least for new books) in a long time. 

I don't think I've ever bought a book on-line.