News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

One aspect of the forest thing is a difference in the way forests (parks or no parks) are available to outdoor activities. In Sweden (and some other countries), because of the ancient Right of Public Access, you can go hiking anywhere you want (as long as you obey some basic rules like not pitching your tent close to someone's house etc). So the difference between parks and other areas is less important (my impression). And since very large parts of Sweden is forest (or treeless wilderness at altitude or in the far north) this makes essentially the whole country an outdoor activity area.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Yeah, it's obviously not the US government's fault as awfully as they are handling it in the US.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 16, 2020, 01:52:04 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 16, 2020, 01:46:19 AM
Among Americans overall, without a religious affiliation, the poll found that 43 percent believe foreign governments are to blame for the pandemic, while 37 percent said it was caused by the U.S. government. :tinfoil:

That's a badly worded question.  Blame or caused by could be interpreted as China tolerated bat and pangolin markets or the US allowed people from China to spread it to the US, or didn't quarantine people coming back to the US.

The actual question was "Which of the following, if any, would you say is a cause of the current coronavirus situation in the
United States?"

Options were:

Christians 2%
Non-religious people 2%
People of non-Christian faiths 3%
Climate change 7%
Immigrants 9%
Human sinfulness 11%
Global trade 21%
Other things in nature 28%
U.S. government's actions or policies 37%
Foreign governments' actions or policies 43%
None of these 24%
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Syt

The US embassy gifts 500,000 re-usable masks from Bella Canvasa, L.A.,  to Austria.
https://twitter.com/usembvienna/status/1261585718268305409?s=20
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

About 40 anti-lockdown protesters in Hyde Park, including Jeremy Corbyn's crank brother Piers (who was arrested). First anti-lockdown protests I've heard of here. It's fucking weird :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 16, 2020, 10:06:41 AM
About 40 anti-lockdown protesters in Hyde Park, including Jeremy Corbyn's crank brother Piers (who was arrested). First anti-lockdown protests I've heard of here. It's fucking weird :mellow:

Fail, no open carry rifles.

The Brain

Is it true that in the UK the public isn't allowed to carry guns in Parliament?

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 16, 2020, 10:06:41 AM

:wacko:

I hope the media aren't giving those wankers the oxygen of publicity, otherwise they'll prove more deadly than the IRA.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on May 15, 2020, 04:46:54 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 15, 2020, 03:00:15 PM

In Sweden, and apparently in some other countries as well, emergency response in parks is done by normal emergency response organizations. That's why I asked.

Here, park rangers generally call out the emergency squads (helicopters, etc.) when there's an emergency. We have entire teams dedicated to forest responses.

It varies by location. On the west coast you guys have a bunch of really remote areas and really rugged mountainous terrain. Mountain rescue is a big deal and there are lots of dedicated teams. It isn't like that here. The highest mountain east of the mississippi is 6600 feet and like almost every other mountain has a walk up trail. That is just a hill on the west coast.

The most significant climbing site in Georgia is mount yonah. It is on national forest land, and the park service has currently closed the area. Here is the story of a recent accident / rescue there:

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/man-rescued-after-falling-off-yonah-mountain

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-news/man-hospitalized-after-falling-about-100-feet-off-north-georgia-mountain-rock-face/KNhPafWP2XO9B3N9ETU8KO/

QuoteMembers of White County Fire Services, Lee Arrendale State Prison firefighters, Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Cleveland Fire Department and Community Emergency Response Team Firefighters Rehab assisted with the rescue. There were 21 responders at the scene.

They note no federal resources.

Also:

QuoteWhite County Emergency Medical Services shared a photo of the rescue attempt on Facebook. In the photo multiple emergency service team members surround the injured man lying on a stretcher.

You can see the picture in the video. The guy managing the belay doesn't have on a shirt--which makes me wonder if he wasn't just a random climber in the area and not one of the white county responders.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on May 16, 2020, 10:15:41 AM

Not even good ol' gunpowder, I'm afraid.

The Brain

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 16, 2020, 10:24:22 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 16, 2020, 10:15:41 AM

Not even good ol' gunpowder, I'm afraid.

I think it's kinda racist that they burn a Guido in effigy every year.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on May 16, 2020, 02:22:32 AM
One aspect of the forest thing is a difference in the way forests (parks or no parks) are available to outdoor activities. In Sweden (and some other countries), because of the ancient Right of Public Access, you can go hiking anywhere you want (as long as you obey some basic rules like not pitching your tent close to someone's house etc). So the difference between parks and other areas is less important (my impression). And since very large parts of Sweden is forest (or treeless wilderness at altitude or in the far north) this makes essentially the whole country an outdoor activity area.

It is a difference in mindset. I think in Europe there is generally much more freedom in the outdoors, while the US has more of a permitting process. As one of many examples, guides in europe can generally guide within the scope of the expertise whereever they want, while in the US no one can guide in many national parks unless they have a concession (which are given to a few companies that are tightly monitored by the park service).

A lot depends on the state. For example, in this area on federal land you can generally camp like you can in Sweden - whereever you want provided it isn't somewhere dumb. Within Georgia state parks, however, you can only camp in designated camping areas with a permit (that must be purchased). The result is that Georgia state parks are stupid and before covid I almost exclusively visited federal land, but now the federal lands are mostly closed so i've taken the time to explore a lot of state parks.

I actually think it is rather insane to have a system of public lands with so many jurisdictions with their own rules and agencies. I live in Georgia and am within a couple hours of Alabama, Tennessee, and South Carolina, and when you add in federal lands, that is a lot of different government rules to navigate. Not to mention that three are also city and county parks. :D
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

The overlapping jurisdictions, all with their own police force, are one of the things I always found bizarre in the US. When I went to college in NJ, there was campus police, city police, port authority police in that train to Manhattan, state police on the highway, TSA at the airport...  :wacko:

celedhring

Plus every two-bit federal agency having its own police force... "This is the postal police, you're under arrest!"