And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on May 13, 2020, 05:41:38 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 13, 2020, 05:06:27 PM
Come on Meri. There are 950,000 physicians in the US. 3.8 million nurses. Lots of others are in healthcare besides doctors and nurses of course...

Total deaths with Covid19 / Covid19 & Pneumonia identified by the CDC are 79,008. Of these, only 15,645 are in ages 15-64. Even if every single person aged 15-64 that has died was a healthcare worker, we still aren't up to 1/3 of 1% of doctors and nurses.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#AgeAndSex

I know math is hard, but the numbers that I quoted were that 9% and 12% of those who died in Italy and Spain respectively were healthcare workers. Not that 9% and 12% of healthcare workers died.

Don't hurt yourself with the abacus.

"I mean, fuck, at this rate, Fate and his colleagues are looking at 10% of them dying"...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: alfred russel on May 13, 2020, 05:45:35 PM
Come on Meri. There are 950,000 physicians in the US. 3.8 million nurses. Lots of others are in healthcare besides doctors and nurses of course...

Total deaths with Covid19 / Covid19 & Pneumonia identified by the CDC are 79,008. Of these, only 15,645 are in ages 15-64. Even if every single person aged 15-64 that has died was a healthcare worker, we still aren't up to 1/3 of 1% of doctors and nurses.

I know math is hard, but the numbers that I quoted were that 9% and 12% of those who died in Italy and Spain respectively were healthcare workers. Not that 9% and 12% of healthcare workers died.

"I mean, fuck, at this rate, Fate and his colleagues are looking at 10% of them dying"...

If this meant 10% of the deaths would be healthcare workers, which isn't what that statement means, that would mean we have ~8,000 healthcare worker deaths. Which is absurdly high.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

In Madrid for the last few days there have been daily protests against the government in the city's poshest, richest and rightiest neighbourhood. Today some dude with a golf club was banging a traffic sign.  :lol:

DGuller

Meri, I'm both a math person and a highly arrogant person.  I still try very hard to avoid telling others that "math is hard" as an argument, because there is a law of nature that almost guarantees that you will look stupid very soon after saying that.  I would definitely not tell that to AR, as he already caught a math fail or two on my part in this thread.  Math really is hard.

Zoupa

You what's really hard? Missing climbing season.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2020, 04:43:05 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 13, 2020, 04:41:46 PM
Grocery run.  They finally had toilet paper.  :w00t:

I'd say about 70% of customers walking in were masked.  Skewed younger and whiter.

Really.  We too had a run on toilet paper when this started, but store shelves have been completely full for weeks.

Hand sanitizer and masks of course are still like gold, but you can find them now and then.
yeah did grocery run yesterday. Yeast and flour a no go, same with wipes and sanitizer. But toilet paper aisle was full.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Dorsey has built up his reputation (well deserved) over these last 17 years.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

This week has been better, but I expect things to worsen as more people move around and as it gets hotter and buildings turn on the AC (which circulates air all around).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: katmai on May 13, 2020, 07:23:15 PM
Really.  We too had a run on toilet paper when this started, but store shelves have been completely full for weeks.

Hand sanitizer and masks of course are still like gold, but you can find them now and then.
yeah did grocery run yesterday. Yeast and flour a no go, same with wipes and sanitizer. But toilet paper aisle was full.
[/quote]The items I still cannot find, or are super scarce, include:

toilet paper, paper towels, hand sanitizer
rice and dry beans (canned beans are mostly back)
acetone/nail polish remover (for my wife  :P )
premium ice cream

Everything else pretty much is good, though bacon supplies seem to be dwindling again.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: Zoupa on May 13, 2020, 06:05:09 PM
You what's really hard? Missing climbing season.

No, that's diabolical. :contract:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

My supermercado instituted a 4 meat orders per customer policy out of solidarity with dying meatpacking workers.

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on May 13, 2020, 05:54:32 PM

Meri, I'm both a math person and a highly arrogant person.  I still try very hard to avoid telling others that "math is hard" as an argument, because there is a law of nature that almost guarantees that you will look stupid very soon after saying that.  I would definitely not tell that to AR, as he already caught a math fail or two on my part in this thread.  Math really is hard.

In the immortal words of Seedy, I was being ironical and shit. :P

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

merithyn