News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: merithyn on April 15, 2020, 05:11:18 PM
No Trump bucks for me yet. :( But I've heard that it's based on income levels, so maybe that's why? :unsure:

No clue. It's all going into savings anyway in case any of my friends or family need it later down the road. I know that's not what they want to hear, but that's what's going to happen.

Correction. Apparently my Trump bucks went to Max. So now I have my money. :)

It's still going into savings. ^_^
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

I have to tell you, the 21st century has been a real disappointment.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2020, 10:59:19 PM

Still better than the last one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on April 15, 2020, 11:14:07 PM

This one is only marginally worse than 2017 for me, so...
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Camerus

The second half was pretty great, at least in the developed world.

Razgovory

I rather liked the last one, or at least the part I lived in.  In the last 20 years we've had 9/11, the Iraq war, the Great Recession, and a fucking plague.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Participated in my first ever remote court today.

It was... interesting.  I was in a boardroom in my office (not from home), running docket court with one fellow Crown, and a support staff.  The only people in the actual courtroom was the judge, court clerk, and a handful of defence lawyers - most of whom logged in remotely.

Anyone who was out of custody automatically had their matters adjourned 10 weeks.  We only dealt with in custody matters.  But that was still lots of files.

Doing this court remotely only started on Tuesday - so this was day two.  Based on feedback from day one I made sure to get my own headset / microphone (did not at all like the idea of having to share, given how close to your mouth a headset microphone is).  Local Best Buy had a great set-up: you ordered online, got a confirmation email within minutes, then went in person to pick up my headset.

I'm kind of worried: even with cancelling all out-of-custody trials, in two weeks I have a week-long trial on a string of B&Es.  It's about 20 witnesses over the week.  Trials (unlike docket court) will need to be held in person.  So far nobody has said they can't attend due to Covid - but I'm just waiting.  And the thing is - I can't in anything resembling good conscience let this guy out of custody.  His entire MO is breaking into businesses in a smash-and-grab (he has 30+ priors).  If I were to let him out now he'd be in a target-rich environment with all the businesses closed due to Covid.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2020, 12:18:35 AM

I rather liked the last one, or at least the part I lived in.  In the last 20 years we've had 9/11, the Iraq war, the Great Recession, and a fucking plague.

Well I guess I was thinking 1900-1920 as compared to 2000-2020 :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

@BB, based on now 3 weeks of remote classroom experience, attention span declines rapidly in remote/ virtual setting. I'd suggest planning for that, if at all possible. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2020, 12:40:24 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2020, 12:18:35 AM

Well I guess I was thinking 1900-1920 as compared to 2000-2020 :P

The Stockholm Olympics ruled. :angry:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

The Great War, not so much.

Though gotta give credit to the 20th for innovation. Flight > social media.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 16, 2020, 12:48:47 AM
@BB, based on now 3 weeks of remote classroom experience, attention span declines rapidly in remote/ virtual setting. I'd suggest planning for that, if at all possible.
Yeah. You might find this helpful - a list of tips from a solicitor who was involved in a remote 3 day High Court hearing last week:
https://lennonssolicitors.co.uk/article/covid-19-and-remote-court-arrangements-30-tips-for-dealing-with-virtual-hearings/
Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

I've been thinking. What is the end game? What is the purpose of all actions due to Corona?

Originally the UK stated that the end game was herd immunity. It still seems to be the target for some countries including Sweden. This was assumed possible by keeping the sombrero down enough so that health care won't collapse. Seems cold and callous since a lot of people will die.

But for those countries not targeting herd immunity? Close down until a vaccine? Close down forever? Hold hand over ears and pretend Corona will disappear? Ease up in such a manner that the sombrero stays low enough to handle (and I guess in the end herd immunity and all the deaths on the way this implies)?

Take Norway and Finland for example, and to a lesser extent Denmark. They have been successful in stopping the spread and relatively few have died. But what now? As soon as they ease up Corona will strike again and then what? How do they get out of this?

Legbiter

Quote from: Threviel on April 16, 2020, 05:36:02 AM
I've been thinking. What is the end game? What is the purpose of all actions due to Corona?

Originally the UK stated that the end game was herd immunity. It still seems to be the target for some countries including Sweden. This was assumed possible by keeping the sombrero down enough so that health care won't collapse. Seems cold and callous since a lot of people will die.

But for those countries not targeting herd immunity? Close down until a vaccine? Close down forever? Hold hand over ears and pretend Corona will disappear? Ease up in such a manner that the sombrero stays low enough to handle (and I guess in the end herd immunity and all the deaths on the way this implies)?

Take Norway and Finland for example, and to a lesser extent Denmark. They have been successful in stopping the spread and relatively few have died. But what now? As soon as they ease up Corona will strike again and then what? How do they get out of this?

Yeah here we're going to hunt it down and kill it off, then keep the country quarantined until there's a vaccine. Herd immunity would require 60-70% of the nation getting it, which will crash the health service, which in turn will utterly tank the economy anyway if that happens. We're easing control measures but we now have the societal plumbing installed to quickly trace and isolate any new infections if they pop up.

The economy will take an enormous hit either way.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Threviel

It could take years to get a vaccine? Is that even feasible?