News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on April 08, 2020, 10:42:41 PM
My brother is recovering pretty well.  He was never formally diagnosed because his boyfriend didn't want to take him to the hospital (no insurance), but I'm pretty sure he has/had it.  He's not longer bedridden and though he still gets winded moving around.

That's good news, Raz.

Let's hope he observed the post-recovery quarantine properly

By the sound of it, someone else who's unlikely to say it's just like the flu. Peoples lung capacity seems to be compromised for weeks afterwards.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Coronavirus timeline:
- January 19: 100 cases
- January 24: 1,000 cases
- February 12: 50,000 cases
- March 6: 100,000 cases
- March 18: 200,000 cases
- March 26: 500,000 cases
- April 2: 1,000,000 cases
- April 8: 1,500,000 cases
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 08, 2020, 07:54:35 AM
Interesting. With the NHS the non-frontline medical staff are being re-deployed to help - so I needed to have physio for an injury I had and I know the entire physio team at my local NHS hsopital were being redeployed onto wards. I assume they'll just be working as healthcare assistants rather than anything more significant because they won't have the relevant training. And I mentioned my friend who is on the data/planning side of the NHS - she's actually been working flat out but in February all of her team were given training on how they could assist if it was necessary to redeploy them to the frontline. There was also that memo from a head of intensive care in a big London hospital basically saying everyone from medical students to dental hygienists were being drafted into helping the intensive care team - again I imagine as healthcare assistants.

Same here.  A deal was done with veterinaries to have them supervise the operation of their ventilators, if the need arises.

As it is looking now, that won't be necessary.  Staff is being transferred from hospitals to retirement homes, private&public.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 08, 2020, 11:12:26 PM
Coronavirus timeline:
- January 19: 100 cases
- January 24: 1,000 cases
- February 12: 50,000 cases
- March 6: 100,000 cases
- March 18: 200,000 cases
- March 26: 500,000 cases
- April 2: 1,000,000 cases
- April 8: 1,500,000 cases

At least the last two figures show a flat rate of growth.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 08, 2020, 02:03:02 PM
Quote from: Threviel on April 08, 2020, 12:44:41 PM
Yes, and about half the population of Sweden.

As I said, rough calculations:

127*2 is about 300
680/2 is about 300.

Say three times the number of ICU cases then if it makes you happy.

Still not a grim picture for Sweden. Sure, it's not especially good like Denmark, but not grim either.

I stand by my words. Considering the laxisme showed by the Swedish government. Your death tally will be over 1000 by monday.
it depends if they're allowing visits to their elderlys, if they've practiced any kind of social distancing (like, us 2m between each people, avoiding crowds, etc) and told sickly people to isolate as much as possible.  It also depends on their ICU capacities, and the number of travelers coming before everyone shut their borders.

I think they're also in a better position because Stockholm might not be a hub to northern Europe like Montreal is for Canada & parts of North America.  And not many foreigners visit Stockholm for business or pleasure compared to Montreal.  And our tradition of Spring break were so many people travel abroad.  And if all their neighbours are confined, they ain't travelling to Spain to infect other people.  Had no one in the world imposed quarantined or shut down schools, and everyone went business as usual, I think Sweden would have been hit harder than it is now.

So many factors.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: katmai on April 08, 2020, 05:00:39 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on April 08, 2020, 01:38:32 PM
Singapore is going on full lockdown again, just got hit with a second wave.
what the world can expect til a vaccine.
once there is less pressure on our healthcare systems, our governments can begin tests to see how many of us has really gotten the virus, and if we have developped a certain herd immunity.
Also, if there are effective meds found that at least alleviate the symptoms, having a second wave might not be so bad.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on April 08, 2020, 10:42:41 PM
My brother is recovering pretty well.  He was never formally diagnosed because his boyfriend didn't want to take him to the hospital (no insurance), but I'm pretty sure he has/had it.  He's not longer bedridden and though he still gets winded moving around.
I thought your esteemed leader announced no one would have to pay for Covid-19 testing & care?

Eddie Teach

Yes, I always travel through Montreal when visiting northern Europe.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Threviel

Now, I'm not claiming that everything is going especially well in Sweden, I'm just trying to claim that it's not a grim hellhole of disease right now.

And Arlanda, Stockholms main airport handles 25 million passengers a year, Montreal-Trudeau international handles 20 million. Perhaps there's a lot of train traffic in Montreal.

And if Sweden as 1000 deaths by Monday we would be level with the UK and Switzerlands present tally. Not going well, not going spectacularly bad.

Tamas

Josquius

Quote from: Threviel on April 09, 2020, 01:30:04 AM
Now, I'm not claiming that everything is going especially well in Sweden, I'm just trying to claim that it's not a grim hellhole of disease right now.

And Arlanda, Stockholms main airport handles 25 million passengers a year, Montreal-Trudeau international handles 20 million. Perhaps there's a lot of train traffic in Montreal.

And if Sweden as 1000 deaths by Monday we would be level with the UK and Switzerlands present tally. Not going well, not going spectacularly bad.

When you're a week or two behind the UK and a fraction of the size that isn't great
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

No, it isn't great. Neither is dyscalculia.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: viper37 on April 08, 2020, 11:32:26 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 08, 2020, 07:54:35 AM
Interesting. With the NHS the non-frontline medical staff are being re-deployed to help - so I needed to have physio for an injury I had and I know the entire physio team at my local NHS hsopital were being redeployed onto wards. I assume they'll just be working as healthcare assistants rather than anything more significant because they won't have the relevant training. And I mentioned my friend who is on the data/planning side of the NHS - she's actually been working flat out but in February all of her team were given training on how they could assist if it was necessary to redeploy them to the frontline. There was also that memo from a head of intensive care in a big London hospital basically saying everyone from medical students to dental hygienists were being drafted into helping the intensive care team - again I imagine as healthcare assistants.

Same here.  A deal was done with veterinaries to have them supervise the operation of their ventilators, if the need arises.

As it is looking now, that won't be necessary.  Staff is being transferred from hospitals to retirement homes, private&public.

Over here vets were important in some rural communities, as they were the sanitary professionals who were closest at hand and the ones who were pressed into organising the initial response to the crisis.

We also got stories about some rural communities, mostly up in the mountains, which totally closed themselves off to the outside world by blocking access roads, which sounds quite post-apocalyptic.  :ph34r:

Sheilbh

Thrilled to discover we have now fully transitioned into dystopian police state territory:

:ph34r:

Edit: Also there are two new Nightingale hospitals opening in the next couple of days (Birmingham and Cardiff) and I am a huge fan of the Welsh Nightingale's name: Ysbyty Calon y Ddraig, The Dragon's Heart Hospital :w00t: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!