News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: Agelastus on March 20, 2020, 12:07:27 PM

I am probably the only Languishite who has never learned how to drive.

Nah.

Fate

Daily Italy update:

627 deaths in past 24 hours, total now 4,032.

5,986 new cases in past 24 hours, total now 47,021.

NYC is going to need to go into total lock down to avoid this future.

Sheilbh

A conservative Chancellor praising the Trades Union Congress for their cooperation in working out a scheme for the state to pay people's wages :blink:

I also think Rishi Sunak is quite impressive - but then I would say that given that he's basically nationalised the economy :o

He seems across his brief and on the detail though this may be just in contrast with Johnson (who is, generally, so far, doing well for him).

Also closing bars, cafes, shops, gyms (:w00t:), cinemas, theatres etc. Can only assume that they were getting too many reports of people still mixing (I had a huge go at a friend who went on a date in a pub on Wednesday  :blush: - my point was that he should have suggested they immediately move in together or end it, which is strict).

On the other hand I'm still annoyed at the British press - when Sunak spoke earlier this week he said there'll be more coming to support business and workers, but they were working with the unions and business to design it. So the press spend two days saying "not enough for business and workers!", now he announces it and they're all "U-TURN!" :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Big fatality numbers out of Italy today. They instituted the lockdown 10 days ago, hopefully they'll reach a peak in a week followed by a sharp decline. Here we have over 400 confirmed cases, almost 4000 are quarantined, a handful have been hospitalized and a couple are in the ICU although not requiring oxygen. We had one death a few days ago, an Australian tourist checked into a clinic in a small village, died very shortly afterwards and he turns out to have been infected, plus apparently he had undiagnosed leukemia which probaly didn't help. 22 people had to go into quarantine.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2020, 12:22:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2020, 10:33:07 PM
I'm not ready to join the lynch mob just yet.  If anything, peddling the libtard hoax line after the briefing and stock sales would tend to keep prices up, which they didn't benefit from.
Gives them more time to spread out the sales.

QuoteBy the date of the briefing the virus' existence and early global spread were common knowledge.  What info could they have recieved in the briefing that would constitute "insider information?"

Lack of US preparedness, e.g. results of the 2019 simulation NYT reported today.
Also how does a man whose background was a salesman of lawnmowers have millions of dollars worth of stocks after a few terms as a Senator? <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: fromtia on March 20, 2020, 12:12:35 PM
My employer is expecting me to come to work tonight, just got off the daily call. Trying to balance being sympathetic to the managers, who have found themselves suddenly doing a weird balancing act, with my desire to yell at them for being, in my opinion, reckless and ill informed. I strongly suspect that a number of them are still very much in the "its an internet panic" camp. Some of the official employer messaging on Hotschedules seems shaded by that.

Its been a great job, great income, love my colleagues and hope very much to return to normal in six months or so, but Im a bit frustrated with how behind the curve they are. Dont get me sick you fuckers its a $35,000 hospital bill or worse and also, small national and worldwide emergency going on requiring group participation to mitigate - have you not noticed? :mad:

My former mother in law dropped off a box of food. Very sweet. Also offered to help with my mortgage if I get into trouble (shes rather well off). Bless her.

I've been playing civ 5 mostly. Animal Crossing: New Horizons dropped last night, so gf has disappeared under a blanket on the couch for the next 5 weeks at least.

I know the USA wants to be seen has a Personal freedom heaven but I doubt that in the end of a economy destroying pandemic you will have to pay anything for the care.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 20, 2020, 12:40:15 PM
Also how does a man whose background was a salesman of lawnmowers have millions of dollars worth of stocks after a few terms as a Senator? <_<

He was a sales manager for 17 years and was in the House as of 1994. The dude's 64-65 years old--it's not too surprising that he has a significant amount of money after a successful career in both business and politics.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Me too :)

I really hope people get a grip soon...

If not, at least I book a 9am-10am slot...
Also as someone with temporarily limited mobility I was using the supermarkets to get a big shop once a week. Now I can't get any deliveries so have to go every couple of days to the local shops which is not ideal given that it's fair to say that Lidl has fallen :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Fate

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 20, 2020, 12:40:15 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2020, 12:22:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2020, 10:33:07 PM
I'm not ready to join the lynch mob just yet.  If anything, peddling the libtard hoax line after the briefing and stock sales would tend to keep prices up, which they didn't benefit from.
Gives them more time to spread out the sales.

QuoteBy the date of the briefing the virus' existence and early global spread were common knowledge.  What info could they have recieved in the briefing that would constitute "insider information?"

Lack of US preparedness, e.g. results of the 2019 simulation NYT reported today.

Let's not pretend this is the only instance of insider trading that he's been involved in. Easy to beat the market when the game is rigged.

Syt

Quote from: Savonarola on March 20, 2020, 11:04:30 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2020, 05:05:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArFkmmGRkZQ

Spring Breakers continue to party like it's 1999.

That's been in the news almost every night here (Daytona and Clearwater have similar crowds as Miami Beach.)  Some places in Florida have tried to restrict beach access by shutting down parking lots; but so far no one has closed beaches (yet).

Well, we know how Boris Johnson feels about that. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2020, 11:10:30 AM
Data from the Catalan Department of Labor: 152,000 people have lost employment *in the past week*. Registered unemployment in Catalonia was 359,000 people total at the end of February.

I expect overall Spanish data to be equally terrifying.

It was 79,000 between Monday and Wednesday in Austria.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Looked into ordering food delivery.

"Our delivery rider will put down the food, ring your doorbell, and then step back 2 meters."

Ordering pizza has now the same etiquette as handing over things during standoffs in gangster movies.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Very sharp decline in the number of tests run in the last 24 hours. But still a significant increase of about 700.

Deaths up to 177 - expecting that a lot of those, again, will be in London where at least one hospital has declared a critical care emergency - which means they're full :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 20, 2020, 12:44:37 PM
Me too :)

I really hope people get a grip soon...

If not, at least I book a 9am-10am slot...
Also as someone with temporarily limited mobility I was using the supermarkets to get a big shop once a week. Now I can't get any deliveries so have to go every couple of days to the local shops which is not ideal given that it's fair to say that Lidl has fallen :(

This really is bad. At least we have a car. But if I get this crap its going to be because bloody idiots have to hoard and then maintain their 2-months stockpile in perpetuity. I wonder how much of the stuff we ordered 1.5 weeks ago for our tomorrow afternoon's Asda delivery will actually be available.

We have another weekly order lined up at Sainsburys, but currently no store of theirs in our vicinity has a free pickup or delivery slot for the next three weeks.

Josquius

It's a vicious cycle.
The class one cunts rip the shops apart to build their excess horde.
This worries the class  two cunts who decide they must rip the shop apart as soon as they can
Which in turn worries the class three cunts.
Before you know it even reasonable people upon seeing stuff in a shop will grab it as they know it might be their only chance.
██████
██████
██████