News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2020, 10:08:43 PM
Incidentally, has anyone seen lower oil prices reflected at the pump?

Yes.  Prices are down to $0.71/L.  I remember prices 20-25 years ago at that level.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2020, 09:25:00 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 19, 2020, 09:10:16 PM
Yi you're task for the sequestration is to come up with a drinking game to help see Languishites through this.  :D

Every time Timmy fucks up grammar or spelling, take a drink.

Every time mongers posts a goofy poll, one drink for each goofy poll option.

Every time grumbler uses "ad hom" or "dog pile," one drink per use.

Every time Shelf uses a cheerful smilie, one hit off a joint or bong.
he said: to help see Languishites through this.Not: to help see Languishites die of liver cirrhosis.

:P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Yes, but not by much as of last friday.  I did hear 0,75$/L on the radio for Quebec city, so that's maybe 40% lower.

Very useful now that everything is shut down and I'm told to not travel to a different region.    :glare:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Prices here are under $3/gallon for the guest time since I moved here.  It's usually around $3.30/gallon. Now it's around $2.90/gallon.

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 20, 2020, 12:10:45 AM
Gas pumps are prime disease vectors.  :ph34r:

I live in Oregon. Last time I touched a pump was when I went to Washington nearly a year ago. :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

viper37

Ontario could run out of icu beds in 37 days

That's assuming the infection rate cuts in half.

A new study by some of Ontario's leading medical researchers paints an alarming picture of the strain on the health-care system as the number of COVID-19 cases continues to rise, suggesting the province will run out of intensive-care beds and ventilators in just 37 days, even if it manages to cut current infection rates in half.

The study, by a team from the University of Toronto, University Health Network and Sunnybrook Hospital, among other institutions, warns of "significant strain" on crucial health-care resources in the weeks ahead, calling for measures to "rapidly identify and create opportunities for additional capacity to care for critically ill patients."

In other good, cheery news, we could face social distancing for a few more months:
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/we-wont-know-if-isolation-is-working-for-weeks-months-tam/ar-BB11qqde

Admiral Yi

I was giving thought to my next grocery run, was looking at their website to see about delivery, and was reminded they have curbside pickup.  That seems like the way to go.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on March 20, 2020, 12:41:50 AM

Prices here are under $3/gallon for the guest time since I moved here.  It's usually around $3.30/gallon. Now it's around $2.90/gallon.

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 20, 2020, 12:10:45 AM
Gas pumps are prime disease vectors.  :ph34r:

I live in Oregon. Last time I touched a pump was when I went to Washington nearly a year ago. :P

That probably means more interaction with the attendant though.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

The government has backpedaled, working from home will not be mandatory. It seems businesses have leaned on the chancellor. There's still plenty of people going to offices because their management doesn't want them to work remotely.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

Everything here seems quiet, but I live in the countryside. Brainy can probably tell about the unspeakable horrors going on in Stockholm.

The government is still handling this in a calm manner without any panicking. Since every other country in the world seems to be panicking I'm starting to wonder if we are the ones doing it wrong.

I'm expected to be at work, and also I want to be at work. I'm an embedded developer, I need my lab and my measuring equipment. Also, our blue collar workers cannot work from home, it seems wrong for me to do it when they cannot.

Tamas

Quote from: Threviel on March 20, 2020, 02:09:33 AM
Everything here seems quiet, but I live in the countryside. Brainy can probably tell about the unspeakable horrors going on in Stockholm.

The government is still handling this in a calm manner without any panicking. Since every other country in the world seems to be panicking I'm starting to wonder if we are the ones doing it wrong.

I'm expected to be at work, and also I want to be at work. I'm an embedded developer, I need my lab and my measuring equipment. Also, our blue collar workers cannot work from home, it seems wrong for me to do it when they cannot.

Actually if you can work from home but refuse you are hurting them and their families, because you can catch it somewhere and haul it to the workplace.

celedhring

Even if your country doesn't have restrictions, there's no reason for not working from home if you have the option.

Syt

People going outside to chill in the nice weather should be over by tomorrow here. We're getting another 20 degree day, but starting tomorrow and into the next week we will be around 2-5 degrees.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I've heard this sentiment from others. That it's not fair office people get to hide whilst others have to go out to work still.
I guess the key thing there is though the isolation isn't to protect the isolated necessarily but by cutting as many contacts as possible we protect society as a whole, particularly the vulnerable.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on March 20, 2020, 02:54:52 AM

I've heard this sentiment from others. That it's not fair office people get to hide whilst others have to go out to work still.
I guess the key thing there is though the isolation isn't to protect the isolated necessarily but by cutting as many contacts as possible we protect society as a whole, particularly the vulnerable.

:yes:

A workmate of a friend of mine has been diagnosed with Covid and now he's terrified he might have it and passed it to his mother - who's quite frail.