News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Fredo, restrictions by definition are going to be broad generalizations, not individually tailored to each individual's specific circumstances.

I wouldn't be crazy about allowing each person to decide for themselves what is and what is not appropriate behavior.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on March 18, 2020, 04:39:48 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 04:36:48 PM
Yeah I don't see the issue with eating a picnic as a family. If you are already socially distancing or self-isolating as a household, surely there's no difference doing that outside as long as you stay 2m+ away from other people? :mellow:

Problem was there were in some areas so many that the distance couldn't be kept,  exacerbated by people staying in one spot for hours.
Yeah I'm sure there are specific issues but I'd be worried about a sledgehammer to a walnut in terms of how much additional risk that actually causes versus the cost of enforcing people to stay indoors, not be able to take exercise out of their flat for probably at least three months.

And even if a group stays in one bit of a park for hours - if they're 2m away from others, how much extra risk is that really creating?
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Yeah I don't see the issue with eating a picnic as a family. If you are already socially distancing or self-isolating as a household, surely there's no difference doing that outside as long as you stay 2m+ away from other people? :mellow:

But then you need to a) either trust everybody won't try to cheat the rule b) have police check that any of those gatherings are people that are already living together - a complete waste of resources in this time.

Fate

If NYC turns into Lombardia then we probably need to ban picnics there. The Chinese literally would weld people's doors shut to stop this thing from spreading. We can always wind down restrictions later.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 18, 2020, 04:44:46 PM

But then you need to a) either trust everybody won't try to cheat the rule b) have police check that any of those gatherings are people that are already living together - a complete waste of resources in this time.
The entire system around total household self-isolation (not just social distancing) depends on trust. We need a bit of trust - the well-being and mental health impact of people not being allowed out for three months will be huge. We need to preserve some joy - like sitting in the park, enjoying the sun even if you maintain 2m distance from non-household members.
Let's bomb Russia!

Fate

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 04:47:32 PM

The entire system around total household self-isolation (not just social distancing) depends on trust. We need a bit of trust - the well-being and mental health impact of people not being allowed out for three months will be huge. We need to preserve some joy - like sitting in the park, enjoying the sun even if you maintain 2m distance from non-household members.

Do you trust these people to adhere to those kinds of rules?

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1240371160078000128

Sheilbh

By the by, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine are launching a MOOC on covid-19 if anyone's interested:
https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/study/courses/short-courses/free-online-courses/coronavirus
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

If this virus gets in amongst the refugees in Idlib province, it's going to be a decimation upon a decimation.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on March 18, 2020, 03:52:56 PM
No idea of the truth of it but I hear in Spain walking the dog is one of the few occasions you're allowed to go outside for. Dogs must be loving this. Family home all day and fighting each other to take them for walks.

In France it sounds odd. You need to print a special paper every time you go out. Which to me sounds like it's discriminating against anyone under 40 or over 65, as who else has a printer?

Millenials might be not interested in having a printer, but "discriminating against anyone under 40", really?
People over 65 makes sense, as said previously.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on March 18, 2020, 01:40:40 PM
Merkel saying that Covid is the biggest challenge to Germany since WWII. Possibly something has been lost in translation but I hope she's aware that it's actually a good thing they failed that particular challenge...

More like crisis I believe. She first said since the Reunification, then corrected by saying WWII.

11B4V

Quote from: Fate on March 18, 2020, 04:49:16 PM

Deploy the Army.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Larch

Quote from: Fate on March 18, 2020, 04:49:16 PM

Over here we have plenty of footage of tourists in places like Benidorm and the Canaries blatantly ignoring any restrictions. There's a phone video of a woman refusing to leave a swimming pool with a policeman right out of it in which it end up being necessary for another policeman to jump into the water and push the woman out, and then having her arrested. Or a patrol of Benidorm policemen all wearing masks and gloves asking a bunch of drunk brits to go back to their appartments, only to be completely ignored.

Here's the footage that I mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nS4zym_CW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkH-5bUeObc

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 18, 2020, 04:17:10 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on March 18, 2020, 04:02:44 PM
No idea of the truth of it but I hear in Spain walking the dog is one of the few occasions you're allowed to go outside for. Dogs must be loving this. Family home all day and fighting each other to take them for walks.

It's true.

I can understand. I'm getting cabin fever. Haven't seen the Sun or a tree in 6 days now.

Not even went out for shopping?

I haven't left my house since last Friday.  :P

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on March 18, 2020, 05:09:22 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 18, 2020, 04:17:10 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on March 18, 2020, 04:02:44 PM

It's true.

I can understand. I'm getting cabin fever. Haven't seen the Sun or a tree in 6 days now.

Not even went out for shopping?

Not even to dump your garbage?

I shopped groceries Saturday and then today. Plus I dump my garbage every morning  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on March 18, 2020, 05:09:22 PM

Me neither. 

Come on Fredo, everyone's doing it.  Join the cool kids!