News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

It always cheers me up when I'm ill, even though I know there may be little practical use to it. Its the adult version of Lucozade  :P

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 10, 2020, 06:27:04 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 10, 2020, 06:20:39 AM
Don't see it being referred has Paracetamol online often.
What'd you call it? :mellow:

As Eddie said, acetaminophen.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on March 09, 2020, 12:49:07 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 09, 2020, 11:22:39 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 09, 2020, 11:10:30 AM
The death rate might be as high as 3.4% of those infected. Lets say 60% of Americans get it in the next 18 months; then we have 0.6*0.034*331m = 6.75m. It could easily be worse or better.

Yeah, shave off 3% of the global population over a year and it looks grim. We need a vaccine which is a ways off.

The mortality rate seems to be less than 1% and the infection rate is going to be less than 100%. I'm not saying this isn't bad but there isn't a reason to overstate the worst case.
The NYTimes article I quoted on the last page indicates the opposite
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 10, 2020, 06:27:04 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 10, 2020, 06:20:39 AM
Don't see it being referred has Paracetamol online often.
What'd you call it? :mellow:

QuoteAcetaminophen is the name generally used in the United States (United States Adopted Name), Japan (Japanese Accepted Name), Canada, Venezuela, Colombia, and Iran; paracetamol is used in international venues (International Nonproprietary Name, Australian Approved Name, British Approved Name). In some contexts, such as on prescription bottles of painkillers that incorporate this medicine, it is simply abbreviated as APAP, for acetyl-para-aminophenol.

Tamas

It is getting closer. Two coworkers have stayed home because of indirect (via family members who are also staying home) contact with either a confirmed or under-investigation case.   :ph34r:

But I am still supposed to sit here, because why not.

Tamas

QuoteIn Greece, calls are growing for the Greek Orthodox Church to listen to scientists on the issue of how best to deal with Covid-19 following its refusal to suspend ecclesiastical services and sacred rites such as Holy Communion.

Debate over the church's controversial stance intensified after its governing body debunked any suggestion that the novel virus could be transmitted when worshippers participate in shared rituals like Communion.

In a statement Monday, the Holy Synod announced "with a sense of responsibility" that it would continue to hold services and conduct the sacrament despite public health fears raised by the issue of shared chalices.

"For the members of the church, attendance of the Divine Eucharist and the shared Cup of Life, of course cannot be a cause of transmission of illness," the body of senior clerics said in the statement. "Believers of all ages know that attending communion, even in the midst of a pandemic, is both a practical affirmation of self-surrender to the Living God and a potent manifestation of love, which vanquishes every human and perhaps justified fear."

celedhring

Spain. It's getting bad.

1622 cases. +600 since yesterday. 50% of them are in the Madrid area. The #2 of Spain's far right party has tested positive, so Parliament has shut down.

Authorities are starting to get serious about it, at least.

- Schools shut down in high-incidence areas (Madrid, Rioja, Basque Country). This will very likely going to be extended to other regions in the next few days. We actually don't seem to have evidence of school transmissions, but I guess better safe than sorry.
- All sporting events to be played behind closed doors.
- Madrid to sanitize public transportation rolling stock every day. This seems a bit of pandemic theatre to me.
- All flights between Spain and Italy suspended.
- All media putting the fear of god in the souls of every Spaniard, which I guess will makes things both better and worse.

More coming, since the cabinet is still meeting.

Grey Fox

Why do you disagree with rolling sanitizing?

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 10, 2020, 07:02:27 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 09, 2020, 12:49:07 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 09, 2020, 11:22:39 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 09, 2020, 11:10:30 AM
The death rate might be as high as 3.4% of those infected. Lets say 60% of Americans get it in the next 18 months; then we have 0.6*0.034*331m = 6.75m. It could easily be worse or better.

Yeah, shave off 3% of the global population over a year and it looks grim. We need a vaccine which is a ways off.

The mortality rate seems to be less than 1% and the infection rate is going to be less than 100%. I'm not saying this isn't bad but there isn't a reason to overstate the worst case.
The NYTimes article I quoted on the last page indicates the opposite

You mean the twitter link, the quote of the twitter included a link to a NYT article, and in that article a WHO guy recalled his personal experiences in China and estimated the mortality rate is between 1 and 2 percent?

Tim--lets make a deal. December 31, 2020--we take the best estimate of the mortality rate from the EU and CDC at that point. If it is less than 1%, you will add to the top of your sig, "I am both an alarmist and a moron. You should disregard what I write because I panic like a small girl."

If it is more than 1%, I'll add to the top of my sig, "Tim is smarter than me and I should stop dismissing what he says. I am consistently wrong but that doesn't stop me from acting like a spoiled and entitled brat."

If the EU and CDC spit, then the bet is a push and no one adds anything.

What is added to the sig stays for all time.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

The past few days I've made a pool: by December 31, 2020, how many US cases of coronavirus will there have been. Whoever is closest wins bragging rights.

Guesses so far:

Me: 10 million
Girlfriend: 20k
Father: 500k
Brother: 105,327
Friend: 10k

What do you guys think?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grey Fox

Small girls don't panic more than small boys. Don't be more of a sexist asshole than you regularly are.

My prediction : 1/3 of the US population will have been infected in some forms by Dec. 31st 2020

celedhring

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 10, 2020, 08:17:56 AM
Why do you disagree with rolling sanitizing?

Seems to me the risk of getting infected by touching a possibly contaminated surface in a subway car must be infinitesimal compared to the risk of sharing such a small space with 100 other people packed against each other.

Meaning, if I was afraid of taking the subway, this would not change my mind.

Sheilbh

Got a taxi to the hospital for an unrelated appointment.

Taxi driver spent entire trip talking about Trump's tweet about seasonal flu and how it's all a nonsense, crazy panic :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

It's interesting how being a deluded fuckwit is part of the taxi driver job description these days.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

And it's out of control here. 29 two days ago and 150+ today. There's plenty of stories about people not respecting quarantine and even one with a family who knew their son was infected with corona flying to Madeira without informing anyone about it. I kind of hope the Portuguese fine them for their recklessness.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk