News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

64 new cases in the UK.

Certainly not slowing down but not exploding either, I guess.

Iormlund

Quote from: Zanza on March 08, 2020, 07:48:46 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 08, 2020, 05:20:48 AM
Police in CBRN suits getting ready to patrol the town of Haro, currently in lockdown. Spain's largest outbreak has been traced back to this town (the funeral Larchie spoke about)

Huh, I was there last year to enjoy some Rioja. It's a rather small place though, easy to contain.

It's less the place itself than the nature of those contained therein. AFAIK the outbreak started when members of a gypsy clan attended a funeral despite being on lockdown. Thus the police intervention.

Liep

I might have missed something, but why are South Korea able to test so many more people than the rest of the world?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Iormlund

They might be taking this seriously.

Legbiter

Quote from: Pedrito on March 08, 2020, 08:31:36 AMThe result was that many people living in Milan and area (being this the most productive region of Italy, there's a lot of internal immigration towards the district) left in a hurry, to return to their native homes before a presumed lockdown.
Trains were full, buses were full, and no one knows what will happen tomorrow morning when industries and offices will open.

L.

They just spread the pandemic to the rest of Italy, thus defeating the purpose of the lockdown.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 08, 2020, 10:19:52 AM
64 new cases in the UK.

Yeah - I've got no basis for this but I do think it will increase and we'll be a bit like Germany probably more than Italy.

But at this stage it doesn't seem too out of control and we seem to have had luckily few "super-spreaders" here.

Also got a Whatsapp from a friend who's been washing her hands so much they're bleeding :o :ph34r:

So perhaps people are just taking the advice a little bit too seriously at times.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

6 more cases here today, all either already in quarantine after arriving from Italy or close family members of theirs. An entire shift of ICU nurses and their families are out of action because one of them tested positive after coming back from holiday. Visitors to retirement homes, the local hospital and other care facilities are barred from coming. Religious services are being cancelled and there's serious talk of doing Lutheran confirmations, which start at the end of this month, via the internet. The last one affects me, our oldest son is getting confirmed in a few weeks and relatives were due to arrive from Norway and Britain. I've already told my grandfather and aunt to not come for their own safety.

Zanza

Quote from: Liep on March 08, 2020, 10:26:06 AM
I might have missed something, but why are South Korea able to test so many more people than the rest of the world?
China can supposedly test one million per day now...

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 08, 2020, 11:28:04 AM

Also got a Whatsapp from a friend who's been washing her hands so much they're bleeding :o :ph34r:

Ok that is just messed up.

Fate

Quote from: Tamas on March 08, 2020, 10:19:52 AM
64 new cases in the UK.

It will be thousands within two weeks if testing is performed on all symptomatic people.

Fate

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 08, 2020, 08:51:33 AM
Quote from: merithyn on March 08, 2020, 01:16:53 AM
The Hill: CDC has tested 1,583 people for coronavirus | TheHill.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/486452-cdc-has-tested-1583-people-for-coronavirus

The province of British Columbia has tested more than the US.

Pence said the CDC suppliers are supposed to send out 1 million tests Monday and up to 4 million by the end of the week. We're kinda in limbo until then and limiting who we're testing. He may be full of bullshit and covering for Trump, though.

Iormlund

I think I'll call my doc tomorrow. I don't expect them to know much about the virus, but it would be nice to know what to do regarding medication and if/when I should skip work (since I work with a thousand people).

Legbiter

Can you work remotely, at least a little bit Iormlund?

Grey Fox

I think Mono might be right & it might time for us to buy some inane amount of Toilet paper rolls for the inevitable quarantine. 
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Legbiter

By the way, how is Canada doing? I'm not hearing about any big clusters popping up or people dying. :thumbsup: