Fungus Art: The Traditional Malthus Family Vacation

Started by Malthus, August 26, 2019, 08:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Tamas on August 28, 2019, 05:06:49 AM
Just this morning I saw and "evicted" the third Giant House Spider I have ever encountered. It was decidedly smaller than the last one about two years ago (and even that was probably smaller than a dock spider), but still freaked me the hell out.

I am NOT visiting the Canadian wilderness.

Yup.  I have encountered one spider that I think was a dock spider, and it was way too fucking big to be anywhere near me.  I will also not be going anywhere near the Canadian wilderness.

Malthus

Normally, it's the mosquitoes that deter people ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

mosquitoes are annoying, but I can deal with them. Deer flies? fuck those bastards and their little gnat minions.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on August 28, 2019, 02:40:00 PM
mosquitoes are annoying, but I can deal with them. Deer flies? fuck those bastards and their little gnat minions.

Yeah, Deer flies are immune to repellents, and their bites are nasty.

There is an excellent way to deal with Deer flies: wear a hat, and stick a sticky pad on the back of your hat.

Deer flies are genetically programmed to land on the back of your head. They land on the pad and get stuck, and die.

This actually works! I've used them.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/page.aspx?c=&cat=2,51555,10293&p=10293
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Hmm, I might try that, but depending on what group of friends I go with this might turn into a new game of sticking random stuff to the back of each others heads.

also, isn't it dangerous to carry around a buffet in giant spider territory? :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on August 28, 2019, 03:01:01 PM
Hmm, I might try that, but depending on what group of friends I go with this might turn into a new game of sticking random stuff to the back of each others heads.

also, isn't it dangerous to carry around a buffet in giant spider territory? :D

Remember, in giant spider territory, you don't have to be able to outrun the spider - just your slowest friend.  ;)

frunk

Make sure their shoelaces are firmly tied together.

ulmont

Quote from: Malthus on August 28, 2019, 02:30:45 PM

Nah, the mosquitoes I have down here with me in the Louisiana swamp already.

Malthus

Quote from: ulmont on August 28, 2019, 04:39:08 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 28, 2019, 02:30:45 PM

Nah, the mosquitoes I have down here with me in the Louisiana swamp already.

You don't have big spiders in Louisiana swamps?

Where's the fun of being chased through Louisiana swamps by toothless rednecks, if you aren't also menaced by big spiders?!  :P

ulmont

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2019, 08:49:56 AM
You don't have big spiders in Louisiana swamps?

Where's the fun of being chased through Louisiana swamps by toothless rednecks, if you aren't also menaced by big spiders?!  :P

We have Orb Weavers, which are pretty damned big, but also warn you with their huge webs.  I think the Dolomedes that we have here are smaller than yours.

However, we do have alligators if you need more fun in being chased through the swamps.