News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Trump's True Politics

Started by alfred russel, August 09, 2019, 12:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

If the population decreases, it doesn't need economic growth.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 14, 2019, 11:55:33 AM
Either wage earners voting Trump are fools or they are supporting him for reasons other than the pocketbook.

It's without a doubt a bit of both - his economic policy, such as it is, is aimed almost entirely at evoking lost grandeur. Whether or not it works, is entirely different from the reasons why people would subscribe to the message. And because it's more about lost grandeur - or the sense of autonomy and social belonging that has been intertwined, in discourse at least, with economic growth - what he needs are mostly empty signs: unemployment rates, growth percentages, the opening of manufactures, etc.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 14, 2019, 01:30:07 PM

Uh, why not?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 14, 2019, 01:51:33 PM
It's without a doubt a bit of both - his economic policy, such as it is, is aimed almost entirely at evoking lost grandeur.

I don't think that's really true; it's far more crass than that.  It's aimed at rentiers who earn various forms of passive returns on capital.  I.e. people like him.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Oexmelin

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 14, 2019, 02:51:13 PM
I don't think that's really true; it's far more crass than that.  It's aimed at rentiers who earn various forms of passive returns on capital.  I.e. people like him.

Sorry, I expressed myself poorly: his economic *message*, not policy.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on August 14, 2019, 02:38:35 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 14, 2019, 01:30:07 PM

Uh, why not?

If the economy contracts enough no immigrant will want to come to the US?  Or some similar Trumpian nonsense.

Habbaku

Another interpretation is that if the economy stays the same size, but the population is contracting, then everyone is getting richer.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on August 14, 2019, 04:24:08 PM
Another interpretation is that if the economy stays the same size, but the population is contracting, then everyone is getting richer.

Sure, but for that to occur productivity would have to increase to make up for the drop in population.  Not impossible but a big gamble for the sake of keeping brown people out.  Given the number of foreign students in US STEM university programs I am not sure banning entry to immigrants would assist with increasing productivity.

Oexmelin

Considering the way wealth has been redistributed in recent times of economic growth, I remain highly doubtful that this is a likely scenario.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2019, 11:30:01 PM
In any case I have made it pretty clear that my opinion is that the current immigration laws fail because they are completely and hopelessly out of touch with the economic realities of labor needs. Our economy is dependent on these people, ergo why enforcement will usually fail.

My understanding was that illegals use far more in public benefits than they pay in taxes. That this burden largely doesn't fall on their employers doesn't change that this is a burden.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Zoupa

Quote from: Ancient Demon on August 14, 2019, 07:35:57 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2019, 11:30:01 PM
In any case I have made it pretty clear that my opinion is that the current immigration laws fail because they are completely and hopelessly out of touch with the economic realities of labor needs. Our economy is dependent on these people, ergo why enforcement will usually fail.

My understanding was that illegals use far more in public benefits than they pay in taxes. That this burden largely doesn't fall on their employers doesn't change that this is a burden.

:lol:

No, it's not the system that's wrong. It's the truly powerless folks' fault!

PDH

Here in California, undocumented workers pay taxes.  They also pay to get a driver's license, etc.  Since they are such an important part of the state's economy, and recent trends has moved to better pay for agricultural workers, California makes sure they pay their share.  Seems to work.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Well, that did happen in Europe in the 14th century.  Though there economy was based on land ownership.  There was also a labor shortage and lower classes tried to use that to their advantage.  They were slaughter as a result.  We have a labor shortage now, but that hasn't really helped wages much.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ancient Demon

Quote from: PDH on August 14, 2019, 07:49:26 PM
Here in California, undocumented workers pay taxes.  They also pay to get a driver's license, etc.  Since they are such an important part of the state's economy, and recent trends has moved to better pay for agricultural workers, California makes sure they pay their share.  Seems to work.

If this was in response to me, I know all that. They're still a significant net burden, especially the large and growing proportion of them who don't work.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

The Minsky Moment

Most modern economies - including the US - have pay-as-you go pension systems.  That ends up badly if population keeps contracting and new workers aren't replacing old ones.

Another side effect of declining population is that businesses come to expect declining demand over time and so will invest less.  Business are run for cash and not to invest and expand. That leads to a stagnation equilibrium.

The US economy in particular has been organized for about a century and half on the premise of steadily increasing labor force and investment over time. Can't just turn that on a dime and expect no pain.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson