What is the right way to deal with the Iranian crisis right now?

Started by Razgovory, June 22, 2019, 04:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 19, 2019, 01:34:47 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49053383

QuoteThe government's emergency committee, Cobra, is meeting in Whitehall to discuss the incident.

cool name, but a little sinister
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Is the chair of that committee called: Cobra Commander?

Sorry.

I am having a hard time getting Iran's agenda here. I thought they could trade with people now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 19, 2019, 03:37:34 PM
Is the chair of that committee called: Cobra Commander?

Sorry.

I am having a hard time getting Iran's agenda here. I thought they could trade with people now.

Well no, the US pulled out of the nuclear deal, and is pressuring other countries to restrict their dealings with Iran.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Yes well if Iran keeps this up everybody else will not need much pressuring.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

A drone strike destroyed much of Saudi Arabia's oil production capacity this weekend.  Houthi rebels in Yemen are taking credit for it.  So, yeah, that happened.  Now what?  I'm extremely suspicious of the Houthi claims.  I don't know how they would have gotten a hold of military drones, how they could hide them, and how they would train people to use and maintain them.  Also, the strike took place on the other side of Saudi Arabia.

Still, I have no fucking clue what is actually going on or how any of the regional powers are going to react.  All I can say for certain is that this not a welcome development.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

The media seems sure it was Iran who did it. I saw some article claiming that this proves that Trump was correct for backing out of the agreement that Obama brokered. Other media pieces seem to be claiming we are going to attack Iran now.

I don't know what is going on.

Tonitrus

Firing Bolton and THEN starting a war with Iran would be rather unfair to mustachioed one.  :(

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2019, 09:08:36 AM
The media seems sure it was Iran who did it. I saw some article claiming that this proves that Trump was correct for backing out of the agreement that Obama brokered. Other media pieces seem to be claiming we are going to attack Iran now.

I don't know what is going on.

Well, military drones are big, complicated things.  It's difficult to see how they would manage to keep an airstrip hidden from Saudi Arabia.  I did read something that they may have come out of Southern Iraq which seems a bit more plausible than the Houthi rebels developing an air force.  If it is Iran, then they are really putting Trump in a bind.  Trump doesn't want a war, he just wants to project an image of toughness on the other hand this is a really provocative move.  Trump and the Saudis almost certainly need to respond somehow, but nobody trusts either Trump or MBS so there is no political support for retaliation in the international community.  Destroying Iran's oil infrastructure would be counterproductive, and would piss off the rest of the world.  In short, Trump and MBS must act or lose face, but any action they take would be detrimental to both powers and carries the real chance of war.  A war that nobody would win...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2019, 08:50:04 AM
  I'm extremely suspicious of the Houthi claims.

Does it really matter?  Even if it did come from Houthi controlled territory and the Houthis nominally "owned" the drones (I assume they don't self-manufacture the type used), there is no way they take a step like this without checking in with Tehran.  Does it really matter which fig-leafed Iranian proxy is the nominal perpetrator?  Does it matter if the launch originated from near Sanaa or near Basra?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 16, 2019, 12:08:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2019, 08:50:04 AM
  I'm extremely suspicious of the Houthi claims.

Does it really matter?  Even if it did come from Houthi controlled territory and the Houthis nominally "owned" the drones (I assume they don't self-manufacture the type used), there is no way they take a step like this without checking in with Tehran.  Does it really matter which fig-leafed Iranian proxy is the nominal perpetrator?  Does it matter if the launch originated from near Sanaa or near Basra?

It might be helpful if to know where the attacks came from, particularly if we are interested preventing further attacks.