And we're back!

Main Menu

Help Meri plan a Grand Adventure (tm)

Started by merithyn, July 22, 2017, 02:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: merithyn on July 27, 2017, 02:31:57 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 25, 2017, 11:43:42 PM
If it's important for you you can get a vpn... but probably you'll be too busy to really care.

I plan to go radio silent for the trip. Besides, I'm pretty sure hiking down the Yangtze is going to be mostly out of satellite reach.

Created my budget and started saving for the trip. Looking to buy my tickets and apply for the Visa by mid-September. Itinerary is as follows, so far:

April 4 - Leave Portland
April 5-7 - Shanghai
April 8-13 - Hiking along the Yangtze
April 14 - Shanghai
April 15 - Fly home

Anyone wanna come? :)

I suggest that you stay at least a night in Hangzhou.  The West Lake is one of the most beautiful sights in China.  Much better than anything you'll see in Shanghai.  It is only like an hour away from Shanghai by high speed rail. 

Monoriu

I mean, unless it is already covered in the hiking part, there are good reasons why the top Chinese leaders have their own private villas in the West Lake area. 

Monoriu

Also, when you go to Shanghai, go to one of these 'Fu' restaurants.  It is not cheap, but is one of the best Shanghainese restaurants in the world.  Trust me, I have tried a few.  'Fu' just means happiness and fortune, and the number is the street number.  It is a big group with many different outlets, and they are all named after street numbers in the JingAn district in Shanghai.  Just once, try the best Shanghainese food. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g308272-d969336-Reviews-Fu_1088-Shanghai.html

For much cheaper fair, try Din Tai Fung.  It is actually a Taiwanese chain that does a lot of Shanghainese dim sum.  They have outlets all over the world, and is once selected by New York Times (?) as one of the top 10 restaurants in the world.  It does one of the best Shanghainese dim sums in the world and in my opinion launched a revolution on the way Xiao Lung Bao is made in China. 

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on July 27, 2017, 03:24:28 PM
... when you say hiking along the Yangtze, that is part of a guided tour group right?

Yes, it will be. I don't see a reason to make my first Grand Adventure (tm) something that I'll regret. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Monoriu on July 27, 2017, 03:30:16 PM

I suggest that you stay at least a night in Hangzhou.  The West Lake is one of the most beautiful sights in China.  Much better than anything you'll see in Shanghai.  It is only like an hour away from Shanghai by high speed rail. 

Hangzhou is very south of where the tour will be. I'm not sure it's somewhere that I can go this trip. Maybe next.

Monoriu

Quote from: merithyn on July 27, 2017, 05:08:55 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 27, 2017, 03:30:16 PM

Hangzhou is very south of where the tour will be. I'm not sure it's somewhere that I can go this trip. Maybe next.

I mean the 5-7 April in Shanghai part.  If I stay in Shanghai for 3 days I am just going to eat.  There isn't that much to do.  Hangzhou is widely considered one of the top tourist spots in China and has a place in Chinese history.  It once served as the Chinese capital.  I think you are much better off spending time there rather than in Shanghai. 

merithyn

Quote from: Monoriu on July 27, 2017, 05:12:07 PM
I mean the 5-7 April in Shanghai part.  If I stay in Shanghai for 3 days I am just going to eat.  There isn't that much to do.  Hangzhou is widely considered one of the top tourist spots in China and has a place in Chinese history.  It once served as the Chinese capital.  I think you are much better off spending time there rather than in Shanghai.

If it's only an hour train ride, then that's probably doable. I guess it will depend where I stay in Shanghai. Worth trying to make the trip, it sounds like.

And I probably should read up a bit on Chinese history. :hmm:

Monoriu

Quote from: merithyn on July 27, 2017, 05:14:49 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 27, 2017, 05:12:07 PM

If it's only an hour train ride, then that's probably doable. I guess it will depend where I stay in Shanghai. Worth trying to make the trip, it sounds like.

And I probably should read up a bit on Chinese history. :hmm:

You don't know when you can take such a long trip again, and you don't know if you can come to China once more.  Next time maybe you'll want to go to Europe.  For Shanghai, you just to go to Bund by day, and the Bund again by night.  Then pick a museum or two to see.  That's about it, it is just a big city with lots of skyscrappers.  People go there to work and make deals, not really for sightseeing.  If I go to Shanghai now I just stay in the hotel to watch anime and take a taxi to eat during meal time.  I go there for the food.  Hangzhou is the real tourist city. 

Monoriu

One more suggestion for you.  You can ignore this if you want, it is up to you, but it is another option to think about. 

I have no idea what the hiking part includes.  But consider ditching that part, and go to Beijing instead.  You don't have to do this, but it is worthwhile to take a look at the possibilities.  You can hike any time you want.  But there is only one Forbidden City in the world, and Beijing is very close to the Great Wall of China.  Beijing has been the imperial capital for centuries.  I have been there many times, and I still find places that I haven't been to.  Lots of great gardens and residences of imperial princes.  It is a much better tourist destination than Shanghai, and I consider it a must-see for anybody who hasn't been to China. 

Eddie Teach

There must have been something worth seeing in Shanghai at some point. Hollywood seems to think it the most interesting Chinese city.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

QuoteDin Tai Fung
Been in the ones in Taipei, HK and Bangkok and definitely second Mono's recommendation.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2017, 04:34:03 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 27, 2017, 03:53:36 PM
Xiao Lung Bao

Speak American dammit.

According to google translate, the English for "xiao long bao" is "xiao long bao" so in this case I think Mono is in fact speaking American.

And yes Din Tai Fung is great.

Monoriu

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 27, 2017, 05:51:25 PM
There must have been something worth seeing in Shanghai at some point. Hollywood seems to think it the most interesting Chinese city.

A lot of the great tourist spots in China are associated with history.  Shanghai is modern.  Its history (by Chinese standards) is short.  It is a commercial hub due to its position at the mouth of the Yangtze. 

I can see why people like it.  It is one of the most internationalised cities in China.  Lots of expats, lots of western food and shops.  The people there are better behaved, and many of them speak English.  It is closer to the comfort zone of most westerners. 

Jacob

There are some good bits from the 30s.

Also keep in mind that for Westerners visiting China for the first time a Chinese city is going to be plenty exotic on its own terms, never mind any specific attractions.