News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help Meri plan a Grand Adventure (tm)

Started by merithyn, July 22, 2017, 02:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

We were also banned from going to Cuba, but people had been doing that for decades by going through Mexico.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Of course, if North Korea ends up lobbing nukes left and right, it might just change things a bit for me.  <_<
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Maximus

I expect they'll only lob them right.

katmai

Quote from: merithyn on July 25, 2017, 12:28:16 PM
Plus... wow... what better way to see China??

From Orbit as it is being nuked.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jacob

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on July 25, 2017, 06:21:22 PM
No one asked you Chairman Jacob.

It's spelled Xiacob.

And given I'm the Chairman, I'm can offer my opinion whenever I deem it expedient.

merithyn

Quote from: Maximus on July 25, 2017, 05:41:26 PM
I expect they'll only lob them right.

Either way, I'm pretty sure that will change my plans. Lobbed right, it's at my home. Lobbed left, it's at my destination. Kind of a no win situation for me on that.

Monoriu

Quote from: merithyn on July 25, 2017, 12:40:35 PM
For those who have been to and/or lived in China, anything I should be concerned about when booking such a trip? Anything I should pay attention to, etc?

Be wary.  Chinese tour operators generally operate on the principle of luring the customer in with low fees, then applying hidden charges.  The most common way is to get the tourist to shop in very expensive places, then receive kickbacks from the shop.  Assume that all the shops they take you are traps.  Try not to buy anything.  If you must, just buy a very inexpensive thing to give you an excuse to leave.  Your obvious tourist appearance will attract a lot of people who want to take advantage of you.  Just assume that anybody who approaches you with deals or urgent family situations are trying to cheat you.  Anybody who says they have a great money exchange deal for you is a liar.  Anybody who says they need some change to get back to their dying loved ones is a cheater. 

merithyn

Mono, I live in Portland. That's what walking to work is like every day.

#homelesscapital

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

One more thing.  You won't have normal access to the internet in mainland China.  They only let you go to sites approved by the authorities.  Languish is approved; CNN is not.  I tested this myself.  But (so far) there are ways around this.  There are places that rent out wifi hotspots that allow you to go around the firewall.

Jacob

If it's important for you you can get a vpn... but probably you'll be too busy to really care.

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on July 25, 2017, 11:43:42 PM
If it's important for you you can get a vpn... but probably you'll be too busy to really care.

I plan to go radio silent for the trip. Besides, I'm pretty sure hiking down the Yangtze is going to be mostly out of satellite reach.

Created my budget and started saving for the trip. Looking to buy my tickets and apply for the Visa by mid-September. Itinerary is as follows, so far:

April 4 - Leave Portland
April 5-7 - Shanghai
April 8-13 - Hiking along the Yangtze
April 14 - Shanghai
April 15 - Fly home

Anyone wanna come? :)

Jacob

... when you say hiking along the Yangtze, that is part of a guided tour group right?