Medieval Memes: The far right’s new fascination with the Middle Ages

Started by Razgovory, January 02, 2017, 05:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on January 03, 2017, 02:27:49 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 03, 2017, 11:49:01 AM
I took a medieval philosophy class years ago - 3 other people were in the class. All of them political and right-wing.  Turned out they were not so much interested in the history of philosophy but were convinced that Western culture took a bad turn with Descartes and were looking to revive medieval philosophy as a contemporary guide to action.

That's fascinating and revolting at the same time.

While the Age of Reason has, on occasion, been infatuated with itself to its own myopic detriment and subject to its occasional excesses, this is just plain scary.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on January 03, 2017, 02:27:49 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 03, 2017, 11:49:01 AM
I took a medieval philosophy class years ago - 3 other people were in the class. All of them political and right-wing.  Turned out they were not so much interested in the history of philosophy but were convinced that Western culture took a bad turn with Descartes and were looking to revive medieval philosophy as a contemporary guide to action.

That's fascinating and revolting at the same time.

Joke was mostly on them.  For many centuries in the Latin West, the only work of Aristotle available was part of the Organon.  So Latin medieval philosophy was heavy on semantic logic.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

The guys I'm talking about were paleo-cons for whom Aquinas is a more natural fit.  We didn't have alt right types back then, thank God.  I would presume to the extent they care about philosophy at all (doubtful) it would be some noxious mix of Nietzsche and Filmer, combined with a misreading of Hobbes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Nobody cares which Greek restaurant you got breakfast from, Ed.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 03, 2017, 08:40:44 PM
The guys I'm talking about were paleo-cons for whom Aquinas is a more natural fit.  We didn't have alt right types back then, thank God.  I would presume to the extent they care about philosophy at all (doubtful) it would be some noxious mix of Nietzsche and Filmer, combined with a misreading of Hobbes.

I remember those types.  Hobbes says its the war of all against all so let the best man win!