News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Computer problem, part 23987987

Started by DGuller, July 04, 2009, 03:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

So, I'm finally trying to power up, and I've getting F2/F3/F6/68/69 POST codes on my EVGA mobo.  Ugh.

Weatherman

Maybe this is more suited for you:

DGuller

Took out two of the three DIMMs, and now I can boot into setup.  Either one of the DIMMs is bad, or I didn't seat it properly.  I hope it's the latter, but I don't see how you can seat the DIMM improperly these days.

DGuller

Yep, one of the RAM sticks is dead.  I isolated the one that causes the system to not boot up.  I guess next time I won't buy G.Skill RAM.

DGuller

The annoying part is that to replace the defective RAM, I would have to send all three DIMMs back to Newegg, wait until they get it, then wait for them to send it back, before I could use my new computer.  What happened to making stuff that's not DOA?

DGuller

I decided to order OCZ RAM instead, and to return for refund the G.Skill POS once OCZ RAM gets here.  That way I can continue setting up the PC without interruptions, and will not have to get another G.Skill POS that may be defective again.  I'll eat the $15 restocking fee, I'll make it up by the $15 rebate I'll get on OCZ RAM.

Monoriu

Quote from: DGuller on July 09, 2009, 12:08:04 AM
The annoying part is that to replace the defective RAM, I would have to send all three DIMMs back to Newegg, wait until they get it, then wait for them to send it back, before I could use my new computer.  What happened to making stuff that's not DOA?

Buy Japanese.

MadImmortalMan

Is this a chipset that requires ram to be in pairs?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 09, 2009, 11:02:20 AM
Is this a chipset that requires ram to be in pairs?
I hope not.  It's triple channel memory, so it's 3 sticks with 2 GB each.  My PC starts up with only one or two of them, so I hope I can get by with 4 GB until new RAM arrives.

DGuller

Ok, next question.  How to you boot up the system for the first time?  I assumed that the Windows installation disk is bootable, and that my PC would boot from it, and then I would be able to format my hard drive.  Am I doing something wrong?

DGuller

Never mind, changing boot drive priority in BIOS seems to have done it.

Barrister

DG, every time I buy a new computer I go through a phase of maybe building it myself.

This thread is a great example of why I shouldn't do that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Glad to be of help.  In some way I'm glad to reacquaint myself with computer skills, though.  There is so much I learned in the last week, and it's not like my initial "not-building-it-myself" route worked out well.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2009, 03:51:46 PM
DG, every time I buy a new computer I go through a phase of maybe building it myself.

This thread is a great example of why I shouldn't do that.

:D

I open a computer case, and it explodes in my face.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.