News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Computer problem, part 23987987

Started by DGuller, July 04, 2009, 03:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Save yourself some money and pirate Windows.

Get a microphone/headset.

Go for blu-ray burner for the the optical drive; should be backwards-compatible.

Grey Fox

#12 should be on #3 and unless you are an audio freak with a 10 000$ system it'll do the job fine.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Phillip V on July 05, 2009, 11:43:52 AM
Save yourself some money and pirate Windows.

Don't even need to, just get Windows 7 RC & you're set for a year.

Phillip V

Get a 7.1 speaker system if you have the space; will change your gaming/viewing experience.

One set cost me under $150, but I bought it used.

DGuller

Oh, BTW, do I need a LAN card, or are they integrated into motherboard these days?

Phillip V

Quote from: DGuller on July 05, 2009, 11:58:39 AM
Oh, BTW, do I need a LAN card, or are they integrated into motherboard these days?
Integrated. Be sure to check the motherboard specs for it.

DGuller

Quote from: Phillip V on July 05, 2009, 11:43:52 AM
Go for blu-ray burner for the the optical drive; should be backwards-compatible.
I think for now I'll just buy a DVD burner, they're dirt cheap.  I can always add on blue-ray burner when burning blu-ray discs becomes practical.

DGuller

Is it worth it spending $200 on aluminum full tower case rather than $100 on the steel one?

Josquius

Does it match your carpet better?
I'm not expert on metals...does aluminium get rid of heat better or something?
Ventilation and aesthetics are all that really matters with cases.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on July 05, 2009, 04:53:23 PM
Is it worth it spending $200 on aluminum full tower case rather than $100 on the steel one?

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2919

Get that one. It's god's gift to geeks.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on July 05, 2009, 04:53:23 PM

while a $200 tower probably will be better than a $100 one, you should buy steel (unless you think you need to move it around on a regular basis).  Heavier metal, less likely to warp, better sound absorption.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Weight is my concern with steel.  In the review section, people were saying that with steel full tower case, their entire computer weighed 50-60 pounds.  That sounds a bit unmanageable even if you're not going to constantly tinker with it, since computer towers tend to reside in tight places, and require careful handling at all times. 

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 05, 2009, 04:59:08 PM
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2919

Get that one. It's god's gift to geeks.
I'd go full tower if space isn't an issue.  The full tower systems have hookups for two power supplies, and that is handy if you want to upgrade.  Plus, the full tower is quieter and cooler by default, and have more room for future growth.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on July 05, 2009, 05:24:13 PM
Weight is my concern with steel.  In the review section, people were saying that with steel case, their entire computer weighed 50-60 pounds.  That sounds a bit unmanageable even if you're not going to constantly tinker with it, since computer towers tend to reside in tight places, and require careful handling at all times.
I've got a steel-frame tower (Coolermaster Stacker full tower) loaded up, and it weighs maybe 25 pounds.  Great system, and with my GTX260 card, dead quiet (my ATI card sounded like an F-14 on 110% FMP).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Maybe I'm just looking at a really crappy steel case then.