News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Computer problem, part 23987987

Started by DGuller, July 04, 2009, 03:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

So the new PC arrives, and the setup goes fine, until the point where I turn the computer on.  The problem is that it does not turn on at all, nada.  The light at the power supply is on, so I know I've got juice going to it.  Right now I'm online chatting with an HP rep, and other than for "Cindy" having major English grammar and vocabulary issues, her seeming unfamiliarity with computers, and her inability to understand the nature of my problem, things are going smoothly.  This is not a good week for me.

DGuller

Now I'm taking apart the computer and taking the RAM modules out.  That should be productive.  :rolleyes:

Phillip V

Josephus

Erm.....when I got this PC, I was told that the first time you run Vista it takes a few minutes of nervous anticipation for it to start up.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

Does that nervous anticipation include lack of any power button lights, fan sounds, or any other sign that the computer is alive?

DGuller

BTW, how do you untie those plastic bands that go around the wires and bunch them up?  Do you just cut them, or is there a safer way?

DGuller

Looks like CMOS battery problem was the cause.  Thankfully the tech with an actual Indian name proved to be much more useful.

DGuller

And maybe it wasn't.  For fuck's sake.

DGuller

So much for me buying a complete brand name to avoid the headaches.

Phillip V

DGuller

I'm this close to just sending this POS back and going to do-it-yourself route. 

DGuller

Wasted the whole fucking day just for the pleasure of speaking to HP reps. 

DGuller

Finally they're asking me to send it back for repair.  I think I will send it back for good instead.

Weatherman

/waits for BB to talk about Macs.

DGuller

That might just push me over the edge.