News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Barrister

Funny, I'm listening to a witness statement where one girl says another girl is beautiful, and says she looks like Pocahontas.  Everyone involved is native, of course.

I guess it's like you have to be black to use the N word, but there didn't seem to be any irony in using the name Pocahontas - it was just her way of saying a beautiful native girl.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2017, 04:56:04 PM
Funny, I'm listening to a witness statement where one girl says another girl is beautiful, and says she looks like Pocahontas.  Everyone involved is native, of course.

I guess it's like you have to be black to use the N word, but there didn't seem to be any irony in using the name Pocahontas - it was just her way of saying a beautiful native girl.

:mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sophie Scholl

:lol:  Wait.  You're serious?  You don't get the difference?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Jacob

It's almost like there's a difference between using a word to describe someone who looks like a specific character and using the same name as a  pejorative to dismiss someone based on their ethnicity.

CountDeMoney

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2017, 04:58:04 PM

:mellow:

Okay, I agree with garbon here. Jesus Christ, Beeb.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on November 27, 2017, 05:10:13 PM

It's almost like there's a difference between using a word to describe someone who looks like a specific character and using the same name as a  pejorative to dismiss someone based on their ethnicity.

Of course I get the difference.  It was just the coincidence that I was listening to this witness statement where one girls calls another as being "like Pocahontas" at the same time this story comes across the news wire.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

It's no coincidence you're being a douchebag.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 27, 2017, 05:10:13 PM

At the risk of being pedantic, Trump is using it as a pejorative to dismiss someone based on their purported ethnicity, not their actual ethnicity.

CountDeMoney

DGuller

CountDeMoney