News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

No, like all contentiously political terms, they generate competing definitions (an ideology? a process? a stage of capitalism?, etc.). If the point is to create syllogisms like: Colonialism = Bad; Westward expansion = Colonialism; ergo, Colonialism = Bad,  then yes. It is less than helpful. But if the point is to try to discern the specificity of "colonialism", or colonial expansion, then trying to measure and test how capacious the definition is, can be helpful and intellectually productive. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

jimmy olsen

WaPo got the text of Trump's calls to Australia and Mexico. :bleeding:

Read it and weep
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 03, 2017, 04:38:14 PM
No, like all contentiously political terms, they generate competing definitions (an ideology? a process? a stage of capitalism?, etc.). If the point is to create syllogisms like: Colonialism = Bad; Westward expansion = Colonialism; ergo, Colonialism = Bad,  then yes. It is less than helpful. But if the point is to try to discern the specificity of "colonialism", or colonial expansion, then trying to measure and test how capacious the definition is, can be helpful and intellectually productive.

Well so long as our capacious syllogisms are intellectually productive I guess there isn't a problem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 03, 2017, 04:53:07 PM
WaPo got the text of Trump's calls to Australia and Mexico. :bleeding:

Read it and weep

For all of the hubub about the call with the Aussie PM...his logic/reasoning was just as stupid...it read like Trump arguing with Trump.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2017, 10:41:29 AM
Does not compute. All previous years of competent government are negated by a vote last year. :hmm:
A string of strong returns multiplied by a single zero is still zero.

Eddie Teach

The heir to the British throne is on record wishing to be a tampon.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on August 03, 2017, 03:34:42 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 03, 2017, 09:38:15 AM
I never understood the anti-colonialist dig on Obama.  Are we supposed to be pro-colonialist?  Bring back King George III?  Put the East India company back in charge?

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

"We" as in Grade A 100% Amerikanski.

Opinions from curling aficionados don't count.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Russians seem to be showing up in the strangest places  :hmm:

1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 03, 2017, 09:15:31 PM
Russians seem to be showing up in the strangest places  :hmm:

The goddamn Russian got nothing to do with it!

CountDeMoney

11B4V

Jason Miller is as sickening as Kellyanne.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".