News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I'd like to see a few more (any?) republicans condeming this for what it is, an attack on the one of the building blocks of democracy. 

The notion that there's systematic voter fraud it an attempt to devalue the democratic process and prepare the ground work to remove the right to vote from sections of society you either don't like, or don't think should be voting against your own party or ideological bias.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on July 01, 2017, 09:11:40 AM
Republicans with common decency?

Yeah those guys, must be plenty around who find attempted vote rigging wrong, just need a few more to make a stand.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

I would think that the party of "get government off my life" would object to such a systematic dragnet of voting records.

Damn, I *wish* that the GOP actually followed through with what supposedly stands for, it would still be bad, but miles better than the current cynical cruelty.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on July 01, 2017, 09:31:07 AM
Damn, I *wish* that the GOP actually followed through with what supposedly stands for, it would still be bad, but miles better than the current cynical cruelty.

The GOP in power now is about Republican values as today's Chinese Communists are about communism.  It's just branding now.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 01, 2017, 07:19:38 AM
The reply from the Secretary of State of Mississippi is pretty good too  :lol: :
http://www.sos.ms.gov/About/Pages/Press-Release.aspx?pr=800

"Mississippi:  Where voter suppression is a state's right, not Federal!"

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Surgeon General has been a defanged position since C. Everett Koop.  Just processes paperwork for the PHS now.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: bogh on July 01, 2017, 12:16:36 AM
In what way is it an indirect result if something happens solely because of a law that was enacted? What is your definition of direct and indirect? What difference does it make anyway if a thing works directly or indirectly to produce a given result?

It's an indirect result because the person the direct cause is some disease rather than words on a piece of paper.  The difference is that between a sin of commission and a sin of omission. The same sin of omission that you and I are committing  right now by not sending all our money to some starving kids in Africa somewhere.

bogh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 01, 2017, 12:51:38 PM
Quote from: bogh on July 01, 2017, 12:16:36 AM
In what way is it an indirect result if something happens solely because of a law that was enacted? What is your definition of direct and indirect? What difference does it make anyway if a thing works directly or indirectly to produce a given result?

It's an indirect result because the person the direct cause is some disease rather than words on a piece of paper.  The difference is that between a sin of commission and a sin of omission. The same sin of omission that you and I are committing  right now by not sending all our money to some starving kids in Africa somewhere.

Name me an example of any direct effect of legislation under that lens? Rarely does the piece of paper involved cause anything itself.

CountDeMoney

The lack of healthcare doesn't kill people, it's the lack of access to healthcare that kills people.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: bogh on July 01, 2017, 01:15:36 PM
Name me an example of any direct effect of legislation under that lens? Rarely does the piece of paper involved cause anything itself.

Declaration of war.  Capital punishment.

bogh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 01, 2017, 01:44:27 PM
Quote from: bogh on July 01, 2017, 01:15:36 PM

Declaration of war.  Capital punishment.

People are killed by enemy combatants, not a piece of paper. Capital punishment is fair I suppose.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: bogh on July 01, 2017, 02:05:25 PM
People are killed by enemy combatants, not a piece of paper. Capital punishment is fair I suppose.

They're killed by combatants who are authorized to use force by legislation (or at least used to be).

bogh

So loss of American lives is not a direct effect of a US dow (only enemy lives lost are)?