News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

The part about government money going to niggers is no laughing matter.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 30, 2017, 12:41:24 PM
Not all of it.

Is the prospect of people dying from lack of health care on the joke side or the serious side?

Valmy

I think the implication is that it is a bunch of absurd fearmongering.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Isn't it a given that people without health insurance will die / we'll see increases in health costs as many people are forced to seek treatment from ERs?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

One can certainly find Warren's speech histrionic and over the top without necessarily thinking "it" is all a big joke.

Admiral Yi

Also a nice example of left appeal to emotion that DG and I were discussing earlier.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2017, 12:56:16 PM
One can certainly find Warren's speech histrionic and over the top without necessarily thinking "it" is all a big joke.

Oh everything Warren does is over the top. That's her shtick.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Seems pretty factual and reasoned to me.

I mean, there are people who have coverage under the current system who will not have coverage after the repeal. The CBO has scored the number at 23 million, which seems fairly factual rather than an appeal to emotion.

It also seems fairly reasonable to conclude that some of those 23 million will die as a result of their lack of access to health care, especially when we're talking about people with existing conditions whose medication and treatment are no longer available to them because they no longer have coverage and they can't afford them without coverage.

I believe it's fairly well established that preventative medicine and early detection have a significant impact on good health outcomes (including survival). Similarly I believe it's fairly well established that people without coverage lack significantly behind those with coverage in those areas.

Seems to me that the "you're being emotional" is immaterial to the fact that it is very reasonable to predict that people are going to die as a direct consequence of the ACHA repeal.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on June 30, 2017, 01:09:35 PM
Seems pretty factual and reasoned to me.

I mean, there are people who have coverage under the current system who will not have coverage after the repeal. The CBO has scored the number at 23 million, which seems fairly factual rather than an appeal to emotion.

It also seems fairly reasonable to conclude that some of those 23 million will die as a result of their lack of access to health care, especially when we're talking about people with existing conditions whose medication and treatment are no longer available to them because they no longer have coverage and they can't afford them without coverage.

I believe it's fairly well established that preventative medicine and early detection have a significant impact on good health outcomes (including survival). Similarly I believe it's fairly well established that people without coverage lack significantly behind those with coverage in those areas.

Seems to me that the "you're being emotional" is immaterial to the fact that it is very reasonable to predict that people are going to die as a direct consequence of the ACHA repeal.

The arguments made in the farce video are all factual and reasoned too.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2017, 01:23:44 PM
The arguments made in the farce video are all factual and reasoned too.

What conclusion am I supposed to draw from that statement?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on June 30, 2017, 01:56:06 PM
What conclusion am I supposed to draw from that statement?

I see you as having two choices.  You can either agree that the statements made in video are not over the top, or that factual accuracy is not a sufficient rebuttal of histrionic and over the top.

Valmy

So the tone of the speech can damage its credibility even when it is factually correct? I guess that can be true  :hmm:

But I have learned from many years of Texas politics that factually correct things can be used to tell pretty impressive lies  :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."