Congratulation On Your Retirement, KRonn ; Who's Next?

Started by mongers, November 03, 2016, 08:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 03, 2016, 09:26:28 PM

I see far too many retired people working--and not working to keep busy, I mean working. As in the cash register at a grocery store.  The kitchen at the local mega-convenience store.  The clothes steamers and sewing machines at the clothier warehouse I was working at a couple years ago. And these aren't the "Hey, life begins at 65!" types of seniors.  These are the elderly.

And I don't care what the Free Marketeer assholes, the Wall Street cocksuckers and other conservatards say: there is no good and compelling reason for the elderly to be working real jobs, laborious jobs in this country.  Not this in this day and age.  Not for healthcare, not for money to live.  It's immoral and an obscenity.

We can argue about this all day and it won't make any difference.  This is important to every one of us personally, and there really is no point trying to win the argument and hope the government will take care of us when we grow old.  It won't happen.  We need to take matters into our own hands and provide for ourselves.  We need to save money now and start investing. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on November 03, 2016, 09:33:19 PM
We can argue about this all day and it won't make any difference.  This is important to every one of us personally, and there really is no point trying to win the argument and hope the government will take care of us when we grow old.  It won't happen.  We need to take matters into our own hands and provide for ourselves.  We need to save money now and start investing.

Fuck off, Hong Kong Phooey.

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 03, 2016, 09:37:27 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on November 03, 2016, 09:33:19 PM

Fuck off, Hong Kong Phooey.

Things are a lot worse here.  You guys are lucky.  The elderly in Hong Kong don't even have the chance to work the cash registers.  They go through garbage to find anything of resale value.  And there is no Social Security or any kind of public pension scheme here.  They are on their own. 

KRonn

Many companies here have 401k retirement plans for employees to contribute to, and many companies give contributions to those plans. But many companies don't, I would think especially smaller companies. Many people live paycheck to paycheck as it is so have a hard time saving, so the idea of retiring is pretty difficult.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on November 03, 2016, 09:01:31 PM
I have been working on early retirment the whole time by living below my means.  Things are progressing well, I think.  I can pull the plug now even, IF I am willing to subsist on instant noodles for the rest of my life.  I am essentially working to ensure that I have some vegetables and coffee to go along with the instant noodles. 

I imagine that I will be very busy after retirement.  Every time I take leave I feel I don't have enough time to do the things I want to do.  Anime, exercise, games, food, music etc.

That sounds good, Mono - and I am in a similar situation as you although I still enjoy my job a bit.

Kudos especially on the last part - when I started reading your post my first thought was "does he have passions that will fill his time when out of the job". It seems you do.

Edit: Actually my first thought was to say something sarcastic like [spoiler]"anyone else think Mono will ironically die on his first day of retirement?"[/spoiler] My second thought was to suppress the first thought. What I said above was my third thought. :P

Martinus

Richard Hakluyt

In 23 days I start to receive my civil service pension  :cool:

Congratulations KRonn  :cheers:

We gamers have need of free time.

Tamas

Congrats Kronn :)

Make sure to keep busy on the long run, it seems very important to keep retirement enjoyable. Although I haven't studied any gamer pensioners, maybe our kind has it easier. :D

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2016, 03:02:44 AM
Edit: Actually my first thought was to say something sarcastic like [spoiler]"anyone else think Mono will ironically die on his first day of retirement?"[/spoiler] My second thought was to suppress the first thought. What I said above was my third thought. :P
That actually happened to my grandfather. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

I'm eligible to retire in 2030 with an indexed pension at 60% of my salary at age 55.

But then I realize that I'll have 3 kids in, or shortly about to enter, post-secondary, so there's no chance I'll be retiring in 2030. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

Technically I'm half retired since June.  :pirate

And in the civilian world I just have 10 to 15 more years! :yeah:  :cry:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

KRonn

Quote from: Tamas on November 04, 2016, 06:57:38 AM
Congrats Kronn :)

Make sure to keep busy on the long run, it seems very important to keep retirement enjoyable. Although I haven't studied any gamer pensioners, maybe our kind has it easier. :D

Agreed, it can get boring, but then work was often boring. But I will need to get back more into old hobbies and working out. I have some things in mind and started some before retiring, and in the spring/summer I do a lot in a large backyard garden. I haven't been gaming as much for a while but now I might do more, get into more things there too. It's just been a week so I'm just getting going. It is an odd change though to go from work to retirement.