News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

September 11th: 15 years on

Started by CountDeMoney, September 11, 2016, 05:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2016, 03:15:15 AM
I guess there's the issue. Getting a flood of bored people annoyed isn't the aim of a suitable poster for Languish.  I guess there is a reason that Martin is frequently banned.

Indeed.

You can't say Marty isn't effective at what he does, it is just that what he does adds zero value to anyone other than himself and those who think trolling is amusing.

He is basically walking into a place where people go because they want to talk and have discussions with other people, and seeing if he can make those discussions impossible by acting like an asshole. Some people find that funny, and encourage him. The rest of us just wish he would go away.

This is, sadly, the story of the internet. Pure lowest common denominator of human decency and consideration triumphs.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on September 14, 2016, 07:25:24 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2016, 07:45:12 AM
Quote from: Maladict on September 13, 2016, 07:28:04 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2016, 05:48:18 AM
I'm assuming that was meant to be posted in Facebook follies? Nine One One is not the same as Nine Eleven. Not among English speakers at least.

Most of them should be able to get the joke, though. Even the Americans.

The joke is obvious, well somewhat. Seems to actually lack a joke.

Pointing out things that are obvious but never really came to mind for the audience is quite a common part of modern comedy.
It's not the most hilarious joke in the world but it made me smile.

But it isn't an obvious thing/they are mostly unrelated (except that the police are emergency services). Only sort of works in print (even then 911 and 9/11 are different), doesn't work when thinking about speech, and comes across as being obtuse about what a person was actually saying ('We won't ever forget the events of September 11th). All of that could be forgivable if it actually delivered a good punch line but it doesn't. There's nothing funny about suggesting they might/hoping they don't forget the number for emergency services that one calls to reach them.

So in summation, it is a crap joke (naming it a joke as presumably that was its intent).

edit: it is about as clever as some sort of 7/11 7-Eleven connection
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.