Frenchman flies more than a mile on a hoverboard

Started by jimmy olsen, May 01, 2016, 09:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Now they just need to make a jetpack and a flying car and the future will finally be here! :w00t:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/world/2016/05/01/frenchman-flies-more-than-mile-hoverboard/cFrwHrwZVX6IiBxwP0vDbM/story.html

QuotePARIS — A Frenchman has flown more than a mile on a hoverboard in an apparent new world record.

The Guinness World Records reported on its website that 37-year-old Franky Zapata traveled 7,388 feet off the French coastal town of Sausset-les-Pins on Saturday at a height of 165 feet above the surface of the Atlantic.

It said a Guinness World Records official was on hand for the flight and determined that it beat the previous record of 905 feet by Canadian Catlin Alexandru Duru last year.

Zapata, a jet ski champion, achieved the new flight on a craft developed by his company Zapata Racing. He also held an earlier Guinness record for doing 26 backflips with a water jet pack in a single minute.

During his latest flight, Zapata was trailed by a fleet of boats and jet skis. About 200 people gathered to watch the flight in the seaside town near Marseille.

He traveled at an average speed of 93 miles per hour, Guinness said.

Before Zapata made his attempt, a video of a test flight of the Flyboard Air drew more than 3 million YouTube views.

"This has really been a life's work," Zapata said after completing the flight.

Zapata Racing has developed an array of water-propelled devices, including the original Flyboard, which connects to a jet ski turbine with a hose.

The Flyboard Air can fly without a hose for up to 10 minutes, the company said. It has four 250-horsepower turboengines, which are fueled by kerosene carried in a tank strapped to its rider's back.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Make sure to watch the youtube video that is in the link Timmy posted. This is actually super cool.  :cool:

Iormlund

So he set out from Marseilles flying over the Atlantic?  :bash:

The Brain

Quote from: Iormlund on May 02, 2016, 06:06:47 AM

It's still a prototype, some kinks are to be expected.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on May 02, 2016, 06:10:02 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on May 02, 2016, 06:06:47 AM

It's still a prototype, some kinks are to be expected.

:perv:

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on May 02, 2016, 12:03:14 AM
Make sure to watch the youtube video that is in the link Timmy posted. This is actually super cool.  :cool:

Oh, yea this will get militarized. That's slick as shit.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on May 02, 2016, 07:39:51 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 02, 2016, 12:03:14 AM

Oh, yea this will get militarized. That's slick as shit.

Cool as hell, but the pilot is an open target. Could be useful in drones though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEDrMriKsFM
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point