Never thought I would agree with Tennessee lawmakers on anything

Started by Martinus, March 17, 2016, 07:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

The Tennessee bill looks like the usual political weaseling that will result in a thousand kinds of unintended negative consequences.  Students could be free under this law to totally disrupt classes they don't like or when they are not prepared to take a test, and claim "free speech" to avoid the consequences of their actions.

Saying that "lawful speech is lawful and universities cannot restrict it" is to ignore the legitimate circumstances under which universities can and do restrict free speech.  It is not unlawful to read the answers to a test out loud while taking it, for instance.  It is a violation of the school student standards of conflict, but could not be punished under this law.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on March 17, 2016, 09:43:37 AM
The Tennessee bill looks like the usual political weaseling that will result in a thousand kinds of unintended negative consequences.  Students could be free under this law to totally disrupt classes they don't like or when they are not prepared to take a test, and claim "free speech" to avoid the consequences of their actions.

Saying that "lawful speech is lawful and universities cannot restrict it" is to ignore the legitimate circumstances under which universities can and do restrict free speech.  It is not unlawful to read the answers to a test out loud while taking it, for instance.  It is a violation of the school student standards of conflict, but could not be punished under this law.

Those things could be considered disorderly conduct.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on March 17, 2016, 09:48:11 AM

Yes, but that's a criminal charge.  The school couldn't punish the students and they'd have to call the cops.  Would the cops even respond if there is no threat of violence and no harm to the public?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on March 17, 2016, 10:02:00 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 17, 2016, 09:48:11 AM

Yes, but that's a criminal charge.  The school couldn't punish the students and they'd have to call the cops.  Would the cops even respond if there is no threat of violence and no harm to the public?

The article states that:

The law itself, which is to be discussed next Tuesday by the Education, Administration and Planning subcommittee, would prohibit schools from "punishing, disciplining, or censuring students for the content of students' lawful speech by way of or through any of the faculty, employees, or organizations of the institution."

It doesn't say that the school is prohibited from punishing unlawful speech that the police aren't responding to.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on March 17, 2016, 10:06:27 AM
The article states that:

The law itself, which is to be discussed next Tuesday by the Education, Administration and Planning subcommittee, would prohibit schools from "punishing, disciplining, or censuring students for the content of students' lawful speech by way of or through any of the faculty, employees, or organizations of the institution."

It doesn't say that the school is prohibited from punishing unlawful speech that the police aren't responding to.

I'm not sure what you are arguing here.  Disorderly conduct isn't about speech, so it doesn't create a category of "unlawful speech" that the school can then punish.  If it did, then it would make this law completely useless, because "disorderly conduct" can mean just about anything and would make any speech unlawful at the university's discretion.

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on March 17, 2016, 10:10:20 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 17, 2016, 10:06:27 AM
The article states that:

I'm not sure what you are arguing here.  Disorderly conduct isn't about speech, so it doesn't create a category of "unlawful speech" that the school can then punish.  If it did, then it would make this law completely useless, because "disorderly conduct" can mean just about anything and would make any speech unlawful at the university's discretion.

Disorderly conduct doesn't mean just about anything. If it did, people could be arrested for just about anything.

I don't know what the definition of disorderly conduct is in Tennessee, but someone disrupting a class or obstructing test administration (such as by announcing answers during the test) would meet a reasonable one. Those were your examples. The school wouldn't be punishing students for the content of their speech, but the disorderly conduct.

The Minsky Moment

The legislature apparently doesn't see the irony in defending campus free speech and expression through the mechanism of undermining university governance autonomy with the State barging in and writing governance policies.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

I was gonna say something but this is about Tennessee schools. In the grand scheme of things...?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on March 17, 2016, 10:59:58 AM
I was gonna say something but this is about Tennessee schools. In the grand scheme of things...?

you'll be a monkey's uncle.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 17, 2016, 10:54:29 AM
The legislature apparently doesn't see the irony in defending campus free speech and expression through the mechanism of undermining university governance autonomy with the State barging in and writing governance policies.

Public universities have governance autonomy? :unsure:

I mean they are a branch of the state government and subject to its oversight.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on March 17, 2016, 11:05:08 AM
Public universities have governance autonomy? :unsure:

It is not uncommon for the state to delegate governance to boards of governors for the individual institutions.

In fact - a quick google search amusingly reveals that there is a bill pending the Tenn legislature *right now* to transition governance from a statewide Board of Regents, to autonomous boards of governors for each institution. 

Left hand working against the right hand.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 17, 2016, 11:35:41 AM
It is not uncommon for the state to delegate governance to boards of governors for the individual institutions.

True but they are usually appointed by the Governor and approved by the legislature.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."