News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Paris secondment - should I accept?

Started by Martinus, March 14, 2016, 12:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 15, 2016, 05:38:05 PM
Isn't Poland in schengen? What's to stop you from just putting the cat in the car and going to France with it?

State to state. No papers.
That would be illegal. Considering marti is a lawyer....

Even under normal circumstances there are sometimes checks.  With the current migrant situation these happen quite often.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Rufus has been chipped, passported, de-wormed, vaccinated and is good to go, all while I'm on vacation in Gran Canaria. See, my boyfriend has uses.

Martinus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 15, 2016, 11:05:07 PM
I was surprised to see that most of Europe has entirely eradicated rabies, which is pretty good work considering what a terrifying ("hydrophobia") and deadly (100% fatality rate if you miss the very short window for post-infection treatment, and that's with today's medicine) disease it has been

I think it is spelled "rabbis". :contract:

At least that's what Europe has eradicated.  :ph34r:

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on March 16, 2016, 02:12:26 AM
Isn't Poland in schengen? What's to stop you from just putting the cat in the car and going to France with it?

Even under normal circumstances there are sometimes checks.  With the current migrant situation these happen quite often.

Hell, we have fresh fruit/vegetable checkpoints at some state borders.  :P

State to state.  No bananas.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

After declining an offer of something to smoke by a man who approached me on the street, I got asked if I wanted to jiggy jiggy or perhaps boogie boogie. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Archy

Just read this :schadenfreude:
Aux armes citoyens.
Why this refugee camp is scaring 'posh' Parisians

Authorities in Paris gave the green light on Wednesday to erect temporary homes for 200 refugees and homeless people in the posh 16th arrondissement of the city, despite anger from local residents.

The 16th arrondissement of Paris is one of the most affluent in the city, made up of wide avenues with tree-lined walkways, enormous homes, and prestigious schools.

And soon - it will also boast a set of five temporary homes for a population of around 200 migrants and homeless people, according to reports on France Bleu radio.

The structures will be erected "within weeks" in an unused grassy area just off the Avenue du Maréchal Maunoury, which is across the peripherique ring road from the Bois de Boulogne - the second biggest park in Paris.

The homes will be managed by French non-profit organization Aurore, which houses around 20,000 people in France each year.

The shelter will be on the west side of Paris in the 16th arrondissement. Photo: GoogleMaps

But not everyone is excited about the project. Over 50,000 local residents signed a petition to block the move, a protest backed by the centre right-wing deputy mayor of the arrondissement, Claude Goasguen.

He wrote on his blog that the Bois de Boulogne park was destined to become "a new Sangatte", referring to the controversial refugee camp on the northern French coastline that saw riots when it was closed by authorities in 2002.

He also pointed out how France's prime minister had already warned that terrorists were taking advantage of the migrant crisis to return to France.

A real estate agent called Michel who works in the area said such a move was "risky".

"This is a posh district that's very wealthy," he told France Bleu.
"There are beautiful cars, apartments with luxurious furnishings and jewellery inside. I'm not saying that these people are thieves, far from it, but when a pot of honey is put next to you, you want to stick your finger in it. It's tempting fate."

Nevertheless, Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo pointed out that all the 20 arrondissements needed to pull their weight, and that the 16th currently wasn't.

The buildings are scheduled to be erected in the coming weeks and are planned to remain for five years. However, the project could still be scuppered by Environmental Minister Ségolène Royal.

http://www.thelocal.fr/20151216/posh-paris-suburb-to-house-migrants-and-homeless

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Archy on March 17, 2016, 06:31:15 PM
Aux armes citoyens.

Is that a Creed song?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 16, 2016, 03:22:56 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 16, 2016, 02:12:26 AM

Hell, we have fresh fruit/vegetable checkpoints at some state borders.  :P

State to state.  No bananas.

Those bastards at the Truckee station never take my bananas. Or anything else. They're just there for the easy paychecks.

I could bring a three-toed sloth into California and they wouldn't care at all.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Archy on March 17, 2016, 06:31:15 PM
Just read this :schadenfreude:
Aux armes citoyens.
Why this refugee camp is scaring 'posh' Parisians

Authorities in Paris gave the green light on Wednesday to erect temporary homes for 200 refugees and homeless people in the posh 16th arrondissement of the city, despite anger from local residents.

The 16th arrondissement of Paris is one of the most affluent in the city, made up of wide avenues with tree-lined walkways, enormous homes, and prestigious schools.

And soon - it will also boast a set of five temporary homes for a population of around 200 migrants and homeless people, according to reports on France Bleu radio.

The structures will be erected "within weeks" in an unused grassy area just off the Avenue du Maréchal Maunoury, which is across the peripherique ring road from the Bois de Boulogne - the second biggest park in Paris.

The homes will be managed by French non-profit organization Aurore, which houses around 20,000 people in France each year.

The shelter will be on the west side of Paris in the 16th arrondissement. Photo: GoogleMaps

But not everyone is excited about the project. Over 50,000 local residents signed a petition to block the move, a protest backed by the centre right-wing deputy mayor of the arrondissement, Claude Goasguen.

He wrote on his blog that the Bois de Boulogne park was destined to become "a new Sangatte", referring to the controversial refugee camp on the northern French coastline that saw riots when it was closed by authorities in 2002.

He also pointed out how France's prime minister had already warned that terrorists were taking advantage of the migrant crisis to return to France.

A real estate agent called Michel who works in the area said such a move was "risky".

"This is a posh district that's very wealthy," he told France Bleu.
"There are beautiful cars, apartments with luxurious furnishings and jewellery inside. I'm not saying that these people are thieves, far from it, but when a pot of honey is put next to you, you want to stick your finger in it. It's tempting fate."

Nevertheless, Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo pointed out that all the 20 arrondissements needed to pull their weight, and that the 16th currently wasn't.

The buildings are scheduled to be erected in the coming weeks and are planned to remain for five years. However, the project could still be scuppered by Environmental Minister Ségolène Royal.

http://www.thelocal.fr/20151216/posh-paris-suburb-to-house-migrants-and-homeless

Hint, the 16th arrondissement is not controlled by the PS.  :P Bobos like refugees but not in their bobo neighborhoods. :D
The 16th is not the most affluent arrondissement since the 1950's but it still has this image.

Martinus

So, after this having been buried for a month or so, the proposal is back on the table and it seems the client is really keen to get me. I think I will be going.  :ph34r:

Solmyr

They have Muslims in Paris, you know. :osama:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

And more importantly, is there burkha on burkha action?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?