News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2016

Started by grumbler, February 09, 2016, 06:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on August 25, 2016, 04:45:06 PM

I see the logic, but winning a division that blows, well, I'm not sure that counts for all that much.  They might finish last if they were in the SEC West instead.

Last year they had a good chance to beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa. I'm not saying they should be #9, but this should be their best team since they fired Phil Fulmer. That is faint praise, though.

Put it this way: a 9-4 team that finished really strong last year and seems to be trending up with a 3rd year coach (both in recruiting and on field results) probably deserves to be ranked at least around the 15 mark. I don't think #9 is ridiculous, though if I was betting on their final ranking and #9 was the over/under, I'd guess they would finish worse than #9.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadBurgerMaker

NCAA football starts tomorrow with Cal - Hawaii.   :yeah:

grumbler

Quote from: dps on August 25, 2016, 04:45:06 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 25, 2016, 12:40:24 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2016, 07:12:06 AM

Not sure why the AP thinks Tennessee is not going to suck again this year.

They were 9-4 last year and finished the season really strong. They were competitive in all 4 losses. Butch Jones has been recruiting well and the team has been improving.

They have a serious chance to win the SEC East, though mainly because the SEC East blows. Georgia has a new coach; Florida has been rebuilding its offense for a few years. South Carolina is shit, Missouri was a dumpster fire last year. The remaining teams are Vandy and Kentucky.

I see the logic, but winning a division that blows, well, I'm not sure that counts for all that much.  They might finish last if they were in the SEC West instead.

Tennessee didn't suck last year.  Their four losses were to Oklahoma (in double OT), Florida, Arkansas, and Alabama by a combined 17 points.  Yeah, half their losses came from teams that were in the playoffs.  Their big weakness last year was that they couldn't throw when they needed to, and that'll be their weakness this year.  Run game and defense should be good.  #9 is about where they should be, IMO.

LSU, on the other hand, may be the most over-ranked at #5, IMO.  They have a castoff Purdue QB competing for the starting job, and their OL doesn't look all that good.  They've got the best RB in the biz and a great defense but, like Tennessee, may not be able to throw when they need to.   I'd say that, except at RB and maybe LB, Michigan is better at every position group, and #7 is about right for them.  Now, if LSU's coaches actually HAVE a QB, then #5 isn't all that far off.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 25, 2016, 07:04:47 PM
NCAA football starts tomorrow with Cal - Hawaii.   :yeah:

It is like a preseason bowl game. Two teams no one would ever watch otherwise are in a meaningless game, but people watch because they are the only teams on television at the time.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

grumbler

After I shoot my mouth off about LSU, Matt Hinton does his preseason breakdown, and look what he says:  :lol:

I don't know nothin' 'bout nothin'.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

I think Texas is going to pretty good this year but I understand if few experts share that opinion :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

RichRod should have stuck to the Wild West parodies for his preseason hype vids.  Do not, unless you want to run the risk of ripping out your own eyeballs, google "youtube Rich Rodriguez Gladiator"

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on August 27, 2016, 07:31:23 PM
RichRod should have stuck to the Wild West parodies for his preseason hype vids.  Do not, unless you want to run the risk of ripping out your own eyeballs, google "youtube Rich Rodriguez Gladiator"

Do in fact do so, because it is pretty hilarious. At least, as long as you don't mind a D-1 football coach willing to poke a little fun at himself.

In fact, you don't even have to do so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRbhoR6eIM0
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

I may go to my first ever SEC game this weekend if my buddy can get me free tickets.  I'd be rooting against Cal's newfound favorite team YEWW KAYY.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

They're *technically* an SEC team :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Early returns indicate Valmy had a point regarding Tennessee.  :lol:

MadBurgerMaker

Poor clock management by App State on those last two plays.

dps

Meh, their kicker cost them the game.

MadBurgerMaker

A little mini implosion by Minnesota for a couple minutes there.  Drop a pick that allows the Oregon State punter to drop it in on the 5, high snap for a safety, then a muffed punt that led to a quick TD.  Went from up 3 to down 6 quick-like.  They're moving down the field now though.