Main Menu

Teen suicide

Started by Berkut, January 17, 2016, 08:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on January 18, 2016, 11:53:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 18, 2016, 11:04:43 PM
Well, your dad is kinda crazy.
That's not a nice thing to say to someone.

I'm sorry, he's "blessed with creative insight".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2016, 12:32:09 AM

You know, when someone gives you a chance to walk back a gratuitous and unnecessary insult, you should probably take it, and not double down on the insult.  My dad does a thing or two I find weird, like most dads do.  I may even have mentioned those things here, foolishly it seems.  That doesn't give you a license to call him crazy.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2016, 12:48:54 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2016, 12:32:09 AM

You know, when someone gives you a chance to walk back a gratuitous and unnecessary insult, you should probably take it, and not double down on the insult.  My dad does a thing or two I find weird, like most dads do.  I may even have mentioned those things here, foolishly it seems.  That doesn't give you a license to call him crazy.

Sorry but it sounds like Raz hit a soft spot. Why do you care he said that? That seemed like an off-hand joke/comment.

FWIW, your "That's not a nice thing to say to someone" seemed more like you were playing along with the gag and pretending to be hurt for comedic value (which makes Raz's reply justified) (especially in the context of Languish "culture") than an "invitation to walk back an insult".

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on January 19, 2016, 01:02:35 AM
It's Raz.

I get annoyed by Raz more often than not but I think here his behaviour was perfectly fine. It didn't become wrong retroactively only because DGuller was unreasonably offended.

Razgovory

Geez, sorry DG, I didn't know you'd take it so seriously.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on January 18, 2016, 10:56:01 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on January 18, 2016, 10:33:00 PM
Yeap good advice. Ask if they are not comfortable talking to you, ask if there a competent adult available they can talk to? Counselor coach, teacher, family etc.
If my dad talked to me like that, I would be very creeped out.  Just keep in mind that there is probably 99%+ chance that Berkut's son has no suicidal thoughts to act on, and if Berkut start going touchy-feely on him, Berkut Jr. is going to start having all sorts of weird thoughts.  "Why is my dad talking funny to me, what did I do, what does it look like I'm doing or about to do?  :huh:"

Really?  Some kids you know just committed suicide and if your Dad asked you if you want to talk about it, you would be creeped out?  Seems like Raz might be on to something here.  :P

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2016, 02:06:31 PM
Really?  Some kids you know just committed suicide and if your Dad asked you if you want to talk about it, you would be creeped out?  Seems like Raz might be on to something here.  :P
Some kids you know <> some kids in your school.  There are thousands of student in a typical school.  Yes, if someone I knew committed suicide, that would be a whole different situation, obviously.

Berkut

SO last night I am giving my daughter and her friend a ride home from cheerleading practice. They are not actuallly in high school yet, but they are both on the high school JV cheerleading squad.

Friend mentions that family is pretty upset, because her older sister was the best friend of the boy who hung himself. In fact, she was the last person he communicated with - sent her a text maybe 30 minutes prior saying "Tell <my brother> he doesn't need to pick me up, he will understand."

So of course she is blaming herself, because if she had only done XYZ, etc., etc.

Penfield is a typical school with about 1600 students. That seems like a lot, but there is no "6 degrees of separation" between any two students. More like 1 degree, 2 at the most.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Ok serious question - are boys more likely to commit suicide? It seems to me that girls are more resilient at that age but I could be wrong.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on January 19, 2016, 02:18:28 PM
Ok serious question - are boys more likely to commit suicide? It seems to me that girls are more resilient at that age but I could be wrong.

I think you are wrong about that.  It seems to be an equal opportunity tragedy.

Malthus

Seems that men are better at it. 

Women just attempt it. Men succeed. ;)

QuoteMen commit suicide at a rate four times higher than that of women. According to a report by the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI), more men in Ontario committed suicide in the past 10 years than died in car crashes.4 Approximately 591 men committed suicide in Ontario between 1990 and 2000, while 558 men died in car crashes. Women, however, make 3 to 4 times more suicide attempts than men do,5 and women are hospitalized in general hospitals for attempted suicide at 1.5 times the rate of men.6 Studies indicate that there is a significant correlation between a history of sexual abuse and the lifetime number of suicide attempts, and this correlation is twice as strong for women as for men.

https://toronto.cmha.ca/mental_health/suicide-statistics/

Not specific to teens, but oh well.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Many times more.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2016, 02:12:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2016, 02:06:31 PM
Some kids you know <> some kids in your school.  There are thousands of student in a typical school.  Yes, if someone I knew committed suicide, that would be a whole different situation, obviously.

Again, I think this says more about you. Even if they had never spoken to one another, that fact that they went to the same school makes it at least worth asking if your own kids want to talk about it.