The Incredible Shrinking Incomes of Young Americans

Started by Syt, November 26, 2015, 07:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 27, 2015, 04:52:15 PMBut iirc he has said a number of times that his book is meant to be descriptive of the data he has accumulated (no pun intended).

I think that's him just being coy.

MadImmortalMan

I'm just glad you can't inherit your parents' debt. I'd really be screwed then.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 27, 2015, 04:55:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 27, 2015, 04:52:15 PMBut iirc he has said a number of times that his book is meant to be descriptive of the data he has accumulated (no pun intended).

I think that's him just being coy.

More importantly I think it was him avoiding the groundless accusation that he was a communist leveled at him by American and other right wing media outlets.  The bulk of his book is straight data analysis.  The conclusions he draws are uncomfortable for some to be sure.

Syt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 27, 2015, 04:56:40 PM
I'm just glad you can't inherit your parents' debt. I'd really be screwed then.  :P

You can in Germany, though you can choose to renounce your heritage.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on November 27, 2015, 04:20:38 PM
Everyone "needs" TV with cable packages, new cars (used won't do), cell phones, laptops, holidays to foreign destinations and all the rest - if they don't have all that stuff, they feel they can't really live in the modern world

:unsure:

I don't have a laptop either(though my phone is an even more mobile computer /shrug).

But yeah, couldn't live without cable tv.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

I plan to cancel my cable eventually when my contract is over. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HisMajestyBOB

I dream of the day when buying a new car is something I could even consider as an option. -_-
Right now I'm trying to find the least-worst beater that's <$5000 to replace my totaled car.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 27, 2015, 06:06:22 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 27, 2015, 04:20:38 PM
Everyone "needs" TV with cable packages, new cars (used won't do), cell phones, laptops, holidays to foreign destinations and all the rest - if they don't have all that stuff, they feel they can't really live in the modern world

:unsure:

I don't have a laptop either(though my phone is an even more mobile computer /shrug).

But yeah, couldn't live without cable tv.  :sleep:

For Americans "foreign" means two counties over.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 27, 2015, 03:15:27 PM
Inheritance is probably also the easiest to dodge of the three.

It kind of depends on the type of inheritance. The type easiest to dodge is the one that you wouldn't want to tax much or at all anyway - parents leaving a house or some small savings to kids and the like. On the other hand, for inheritance of fortunes you need a paper trail, making it much harder to dodge - and the truly rich are rarely willing to give up control of their assets while they are still alive just to make it easier for their kids to dodge tax when they are dead.

The Brain

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on November 28, 2015, 03:57:02 AM
Civilized countries don't have inheritance tax.

It's actually the opposite. Civilized countries have inheritance tax, uncivilized don't.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on November 28, 2015, 03:57:40 AM
Quote from: The Brain on November 28, 2015, 03:57:02 AM
Civilized countries don't have inheritance tax.

It's actually the opposite. Civilized countries have inheritance tax, uncivilized don't.

No.

Martinus

The Brain