News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The problem of Islamic radicalism

Started by Berkut, November 23, 2015, 09:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on November 25, 2015, 12:36:39 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 25, 2015, 10:01:16 AMIt would NOT make sense if we just all said "Yeah, imperialism sure does suck! Good thing this has nothing to do with religion!"

I'll agree with you that that's not a particularly useful approach.

Agreed.  And its a good think nobody is actually making that argument.  It would be just as unhelpful as someone making the argument that Radical Islam is the cause or motivator of the terrorism to the exclusion of other causes and motivations.  Both positions would be silly.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 25, 2015, 12:24:25 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 25, 2015, 10:55:06 AM
Berkut, you're just going to have to accept there is No problem with 'Islamic radicalism'  ;)

Or to put it more accurately.  That there are other causes of terrorism that need to be considered rather than the very narrow view the radical Islam is THE problem.

You have no sense of shame at all, do you?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on November 25, 2015, 10:01:16 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on November 24, 2015, 08:07:55 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 24, 2015, 06:10:26 PMWe have people arguing that this is NOT a religious problem at all - if that is the case, then we should not support moderate Muslims in any particular sense, since the problem is not religious, the solution is not religious.

:lol:

yeah, let's not support people who advocate peace

Wow, did you really miss the point that thoroughly?

Of course we should support them, because it is (despite your claims) a religious problem, with a religious foundation, and hence supporting a religious solution makes perfect sense.

It would NOT make sense if we just all said "Yeah, imperialism sure does suck! Good thing this has nothing to do with religion!"

If the problem is religion then supporting moderates won't do any good, they'll still be religious, and that's the core problem.  If the problem is a dissatisfied population using radical religion as an agent of political change then supporting moderates does make sense.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on November 25, 2015, 01:41:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 25, 2015, 12:24:25 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 25, 2015, 10:55:06 AM
Berkut, you're just going to have to accept there is No problem with 'Islamic radicalism'  ;)

Or to put it more accurately.  That there are other causes of terrorism that need to be considered rather than the very narrow view the radical Islam is THE problem.

You have no sense of shame at all, do you?

Rather, I think it is a case of you not actually understanding my posts.  When hurricane Berkut forms it cares not what the obstacles in the way actually stand for.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on November 25, 2015, 11:52:16 AM
I have listened to both sides and I'm sorry but I have to come down on the "Western imperialism did it" side. Brown people are incapable of taking any action that isn't driven by white people.

I agree. Religion is clearly not to blame for that and culture is also not to blame. The inferiority must be biological.