What London would look like if Britain's historic spies were crap.

Started by Brazen, October 16, 2015, 07:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Adequate housing strikes at the heart of everything it means to be British.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2015, 10:28:34 AM
Quote from: Brazen on October 16, 2015, 07:42:58 AM
If Thomas Cromwell's spies hadn't guided Henry VIII through... well, life, then there might have been no Protestantism, and there never would have been a dissolution of the monasteries.

Which means there would now be monasteries everywhere.

Really, everywhere. Even right in front of the Gherkin.

Just like how in countries like Italy and Poland you cannot go anywhere without stumbling into a monastery?

Curiously enough, assuming the Gherkin got built in whatever alternate history left Catholicism intact in Britain, there would have been a nunnery near it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Helen%27s_Church,_Bishopsgate

One wonders if the article writer was inspired by the picture on that Wikipedia page.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on October 16, 2015, 04:21:50 PM
Am I supposed to be upset at the idea that London might have a lot of Medieval monasteries?

Yeah, it's like saying, "If the Bolsheviks lost, imagine Russia with more churches and less shitty apartments.  How awful is that!"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017